I know I have said this a million time but it is really difficult being your own worst critic. In this sport we are often looking for a silver lining that doesn't exist. There is no such thing as a perfect race. It will never happen. So you have to just accept it. All you can focus on is giving it 100%--from start to finish.
I spent most of Saturday pissed off about this race. I refused to acknowledge the numerous improvements. All I could focus on is that I got mowed down on the run. I failed to recognize the other accomplishments like significantly beating my time from last year, riding at 20+ more watts, feeling better after the race. Those are the keys to success. It is often hard to keep that in mind when you have a particular burning image in your head.
Race Analysis:
|
| Swim | T1 | Bike | T2 | Run | Overall |
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
| Andrew | 0:12:09 | 0:00:56 | 0:38:41 | 0:00:42 | 0:23:04 | 1:15:34 |
| Top 10 | 0:10:34 | 0:00:49 | 0:37:48 | 0:00:42 | 0:19:56 | 1:09:50 |
| Fastest | 0:09:24 | 0:00:35 | 0:35:44 | 0:00:25 | 0:18:00 | 1:07:15 |
| Overall (408) | 51 | 52 | 15 | 17 | 74 | 26 |
| AG Rank (35) | 11 | 8 | 2 | 2 | 10 | 8 |
Year to Year Comparison
|
| 2009 | 2010 |
|---|---|---|
| Swim | 0:11:59 | 0:12:09 |
| T1 | 0:00:58 | 0:00:56 |
| Bike | 0:39:53 | 0:38:41 |
| T2 | 0:00:55 | 0:00:42 |
| Run | 0:24:18 | 0:23:04 |
| Overall | 1:18:06 | 1:15:34 |
| OA Rank | 49 | 26 |
| AG Rank | 7 | 8 |
Swim: Obviously I am disappointed here. I saw progress in my first two races but my last two were completely flat in this area. However, I will say that I feel like I am exiting the water feeling better. I have talked to the Masters coach and really need to anchor down in July and August to see some improvement on my swim.
Transitions: Nothing to note here. I certainly didn't give up time here.
Bike: Big improvement here. My power looked much better. And the results show that people weren't riding away from me. I also shaved 1:20 off my time. That is huge in a small race
Run: While it sucked in a big way, I didn't drop 1:15 or nearly 25s per mile. I need to drop the negative thoughts and view that as an accomplishment.
Overall time: I shaved over 2:30 minutes off a spint which pleases me.
The interesting thing to note is my rankings. I moved up nearly 20 spots overall despite the race having 50 more people than last year. But I dropped a spot in my age group when 14 more people joined.
I used to benchmark myself against how I did in my age group but I don't think that is solid anymore. These results show why. Once you enter 30+ age groups, they all suck. They are just fast. I placed 26th overall. 25 people beat me and 7 of them are in my age group alone. That is a crowded field.
1 comment:
You have to throw out the swim times - they can vary so much. I feel your pain with the 30's age groups. Last year I finished a race 35/450 but in my 35-39 age group I was 13th.
Damn hard.
Post a Comment