Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Indian Springs Race Report

Saturday morning marked other Tri the Parks race just south of the city. I left out early and made the winding journey through farm pastures to Indian Springs State Park. I remember this race from last year. And in nearly 6 years of racing, I think it is the first time I have ever done a race in consecutive years without substantial course changes. Finally, I could benchmark my progress and see if I am really improving!

I made it in plenty of time to pick up my packet, ride the bike, chat with my parents and kick it with everyone in transition. I didn't have any real goals for the race but to go hard and hang on for the run.

Swim: 600m

The wave was a bit smaller with all men 34 and under. That made about 75 of us in the first wave. I didn't seed myself too aggressively, just to the right and in the second tier. There was a little jostling for position but nothing that I wasn't accustom to. I made it around the first turn buoy and focused on stretching out. I felt like I was working but as usual, I found myself in no man's land. I can never hang with the fast pack but I am faster than the next. At the final turn buoy I found some feet and just hung on for the ride.

Time: 11:17 exit (12:09 total)

T1:

One of the reasons I despise this race is that transition is on a giant hill. I seriously wonder if you were to bump the top rack the wrong way if all the bike would tumble down. The worst part is that when you exit the run you must run straight up the hill, back down it to your bike. Not fun. I found my bike, did my thing with only a fumble or two and then headed out.

Time: 56s

Bike: 14.4 miles

I recall the course being rolling but fast. I particularly remember the backside being really fast. I spent the first 5 minutes trying to settle into my riding position and getting the HR down. I didn't attack the hills, just spun up them. Once I found a groove I was ready to work and I took off. I attacked this course really hard. I think for the first time in my life I rode scared, lol. I waited until mile 10 to crank it up a bit more. Fortunately, I had that extra gear and I pulled away from the group. The only two people that passed me were the overall 1&2. Overall #3 was on my backside once we entered the park

Time: 38:41 (22.4 mph)

T2:

Back up the hill to rack the bike and run. Felt smooth here. No issues at all.

Time: 42s

Run: 3.1 miles

And this is why I HATE this course--probably the hilliest sprint I have ever done. I don't mind rolling hills but this one dives into a campsite twice and brings you back out. It nearly reduces you to a walk.

I knew I was in trouble. I felt like I had slightly overcooked the bike. Plus, I have only been running steady lately so I knew my top end speed wouldn't be there. I could only hope to hang on. And that lasted until about mile 1. Then I was passed...numerous times....by people in my age group. I was pushing as hard as my body would let me. I survived the hills and made my way back through the woods to the finish line.

Time: 23:04 (7:27)

Total time: 1:15:34

Overall it was a good race. I was pissed off due to the run. I was mowed down and that just chaps my hide in a bad way. It is just the story of my life right now and I can't seem to break that cycle. On a positive note, I did shave almost 3 minutes off last year's time so that indicates some positive improvement. More to come once I run the numbers.

1 comment:

Tri-James said...

Getting ran down is no fun - but good on you for the improvement!