Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Change...change...change

Life is changing around these parts. I set out to write this blog last week and it morphed into something else. I feel like I am at a point in my triathlon career where I am wanting a bit more from the sport. I have come a long way in the past few years but I never seem to seize hold of that mythical goal. I seem to continually fall just short.

One of my favorite quotes is by Albert Einstein: Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. While I am not sure I qualify for clinical insanity, I do often feel like I repeat the same methods expecting the same results. So it is time to mix things up...

1. Changing the position on my bike. The reality is, I have never been that comfortable on the bike. The headset and bars are too narrow for my shoulders. Despite putting nearly 7000 miles on the bike, I needed to change things. So a few weeks ago, I headed up all3sports to sit down with Matt Cole and discuss how to ease the tension on my neck and shoulders. Lucky for me, I got out of there for only a few hundred dollars and a new set of aerobars that allow me to space myself differently. So far so good....

2. Medical care. One of the positives and negatives of my personality is that I am a VERY loyal person. I will stick with people through the good and bad. I have seen the same chiropractor for over 3 years in Atlanta. I really like working with the guy. However, I have long known that my care was short of what I would really like it to be. So it was time for a change. I hired a new chiropractor that deals more with comprehensive care. I am about to go through some serious ART and see if once and for all I can rid my self of aches, pains and inverted hips.

3. Coaching. After two years with Endurance Concepts, I recently decided that I wanted to go a different direction with coaching. I am very grateful for all that Dan did for me that past two years. I know I am a better athlete as a result of his direction. At the end of the day, I want something different from coaching. I am a complicated athlete (he can attest). I know too much to be completely obedient and a slave to my training plan. I want to mix it up in life. I felt I needed the added freedom so I am going back to self-coaching.

Finally, there are a number of other changes on the horizon. I am going to wait to see if the ART doctors can fix me, if not, I want to sit down with a running coach to once and for all fix my gait. I am also continuing with Masters swimming. Despite hating it, in a good way, I do feel like it has been good for me.

There are a few more changes in the pipeline...though the pipe has leaks. I am looking at the remaining schedule and already planning for next year.

No comments: