(not enough time in the day for me to catch up on all my needed blogging)
Last year, Jessica and I both did this local race and took home some hardware. I still laugh that my pathetic 10k time was good enough for 3rd in my AG but it just goes to show that you can't control who shows up on race day.
This year, I wasn't feeling the 10k. I had a lousy long run on Saturday and didn't feel like going through the pain of 6.2 miles. I will admit that I was a total wuss. Instead, I opted for the 5k race. I wanted to see if I could better my time from 4 weeks prior.
Race morning, my body ached. Aside from running and cycling over the weekend, Jessica and I ventured into our next challenge--rock climbing. Three hours on the gym wall left me aching in muscles I didn't know existed. DOMS set in late Sunday night and wasn't kind to me the next morning.
Aside from setting a pr, I just wanted to run this race smart. I knew I needed to control my first mile time and build from there. Then I needed to continue pushing the final mile and take note of the pain.
Well I accomplished all that.
First mile was solid. I paced behind two women who were moving but kept me in check. 6.42. I pushed up the hill and hard on the flat during mile 2. 6:30. I knew most of the final mile would be downhill and I did what I could to hang on. 6:20.
Total time: 20:28 (6:28/mile)
Good enough for a 30s pr and 2nd in my age group. I ended up 13/366. I really wanted top 10. I pushed hard but probably left some in the tank. I knew I couldn't catch the 2 guys in front of me so I didn't see the need to kill myself.
Overall, I am very pleased. Hopefully, I can get this time under 20:00 for the year. That would make me VERY happy
Tuesday, June 1, 2010
Hendersonville Classic 5k
Labels:
5k,
race results
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment