There is no doubt that triathlon is one of the costliest sports. Due to the socioeconomics of most triathletes, companies know how to raise the prices quickly. A few years ago, I recall purchasing a nice pair of tri shorts for about $75. At the time, I gawked at the price. The other day I noticed that the newest version sales for $115. I can't for the life of me believe that the fabric or ?technology? of shorts has developed to generate a 50% increase in the cost. Sigh.
I believe competing for triathlons on the cheap. While I certainly have used my financial resources to my advantage, I feel like I have never been the type that has to have all the newest gadgets or the latest and greatest items. I try to be frugal to a certain extent. And while this approach has served me well, it has also come with an added expense.
A few years ago, I bought my first trainer. I just needed something basic to get myself through those 45-60 minute mid-week rides while I was training for IM CDA. It served that purpose quite well. However, as I moved to intensity based workouts, I found myself struggling to increase my heart rate and my wattage. Over that past year, I have learned to HATE the trainer. It became the bane of my existence.
Recently, I started to use Jessica's trainer during my visits to Nashville. The watts went up and perceived effort went down. I dare say that I developed a crush on the bike trainer. I greeted it each time the workout called for a date. After we were done, I offered it a smoke.
The difference? An upgrade from a mag wheel to a fluid based trainer. I may never find the need to pay 50% more for the new tri shorts. However, now that I have seen the light, I regret only spending $125 on a trainer. An extra $100 might have saved me tons of frustration and provided more quality workouts.
Edited to add: Author reserves the right to change is mind concerning the trainer at any point.
Tuesday, December 29, 2009
Necessary Upgrades
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment