Thursday, December 24, 2009

Say Hello

Finally, the long agonizing wait is over. For the better part of the year, I have wanted to purchase a road bike for the offseason and group ride sessions. I agonized and agonized over this issue. I didn't want to spend too much money on a secondary bike that might only see 15-20% of my annual mileage. At the same time, my vanity was preventing me from making a less than flashy decision.

The hunt was further complicated by the fact that I had a few parts lying around the house. So I knew it made sense to just buy a frame but didn't want to go through the process of buying all the other parts. Buying a complete bike is just simpler. Plus, I had a budget in mind. I really didn't want to spend more than $2500. I was willing to spend more but I felt that was the right medium.

So that turned me onto the used market. I wasn't afraid of ebay or craigs list. In fact, I have had very positive experiences both buying and selling on them. So I watched and monitored for months looking for exactly what I wanted. Finally...it came available.

2008 Cervelo R3
Dura-ace 7800
Zero Gravity brakes
Adamo ISM saddle
DT Swiss wheels
Powertap SL

Not too bad and with the exception of a few last minute problems, it came in under budget. Major kudos to the guys at all3sports for their wrench work and killer turn around time. So far, I have only had time to get in one small ride. Let's just say, the adamo saddle will require some serious adaptation.

No comments: