Thursday, December 11, 2008

Off-Season Blues

We are all feeling it right about now. We put in months of training and raced our tails off. Now the days are shorter and we haven't seen our cycling shorts in weeks. It is officially the off-season...or base building season...or marathon season...or holiday season. Whatever you want to call it. Regardless, the common theme tends to be a break from training and a lack of motivation.

Let's face it, we sometimes need a physical and mental break. Physically we pushed ourselves to the extremes and then some. We didn't listen to our body when it said enough. We wanted to squeeze out that one last big workout before our "A" race. We didn't stretch and ice when we knew we should. Our body likely responded and kicked into overdrive to help prevent further injury. It is time for break. Personally, I like to take about a month of to physically repair the body. In this time, I make certain to visit the chiropractor and massage therapist to get the body back on the right track. I keep my workouts light, just enough to get some condtioning on the body.

In addition the physical rest, we all need a mental break. Triathlon is a very isolated sport. We spend a lot of time with ourselves...and only ourselves. In an effort to achieve our own personal goals, it comes with sacrificing other parts of our lives...family, work, friends. Use this time wisely to reinvest into those areas. A supportive family plays a large role in a successful season. It is time to return the favor. One thing I like to do with my newly found down time is remind myself of other hobbies that I love. For me, that is strength training in the gym. Also, find a hobby that keeps you active. I highly recommend joining a City Sports or local sports team for flag football or ultimately frisbee.

With time off, many of us struggle with what can be classified as the post-season blues. We lack the motivation to swim, bike or run (as I do right now). The important thing to understand is how common that is among athletes. The first thing one should do is reflect back on the previous season to determine what worked, what didn't. The next step is to re-evaluate one's goals. Did you take on too much during the season (I did), what/where do you want to improve. Finally, begin planning the next race season. Don't focus only on a big "A" race. Keep in mind that nearly every weekend there is a 5-10k just down the street. Make sure your goals/race calendar include these. Then sign up and race. I assure you that once you remember the fun of racing, you will have more motivation to train. Unless you are me, and never want to see a pool again! :)

No comments: