In the previous blog, I outlined what I thought were important criteria to consider when selecting an Ironman. Here I will attempt to capture many of the intangibles.
Best Swim Start:
I am impartial to IMFL on this one. I like 2200 on a beach running into the waves. IMCDA is a close second because it is a beach start into a lake. IMLP, IMWI, IMAZ are all wading starts.
Worst Swim Start:
IM KY. It is a time trial. I tend to think an Ironman swim start is one of the coolest events in all sports. A time trial takes the fun out of it.
Most Toxic Swim:
IM AZ. Tempe Town Lake looks like a sewer. Second, IM KY for similar reasons. It is the Ohio River after all.
Most Pristine Swim:
CDA or Lake Placid. I just prefer lake swims.
Best Swim Start to Watch:
IM WI from the Minona Terrace. You are 4 stories up and can see the whole swim unfold in front of you. Second, IM AZ from Mill Avenue bridge for similar reasons.
Best Transitions:
IM WI. You have to climb the terrace spiral ramp and ride back down it. IM AZ is second only because of the ariel view you can get. It looks really cool.
Best Flat Course:
I would probably pick Florida over Arizona only because it is one giant loop versus three loops in the desert.
Best Rolling Course:
I am impartial to CDA. I suspect WI and KY run a very close second as they are all similar. For me, I thought going out to Higgins Point and then north near Hayden Lake was awesome. Plus, the colors in the northwest are spectacular. (Note, this analysis is missing IMLP and I have ever reason to believe it might trump all of these for the same reasons).
Best Run Course:
IM WI or IM KY. Both are in very vibrant communities. Wisconsin may get the nod because you run into the football stadium and along side the campus. Kentucky is cool for similar reasons.
Worst Run Course:
Florida. There is nothing scenic about it. And when it gets dark, St. Andrew's park becomes a lonely place.
Best Finish Line:
Kentucky, hands down. I thought finishing in 4th Street Live was an awesome atmosphere. Wisconsin is second because of State Street and the Capitol behind you.
Worst Finish Line:
Florida and Arizona. They are in the middle of a cold, dark street. Boring.
Best Destination Location:
Coeur d'Alene or Lake Placid for their remoteness.
Best Community Support:
All of them for the amount of time and effort the communities pour into the race.
Best Time of Year to Race:
I choose CDA. The end of June is ideal because it typically isn't too hot. It is early season and you don't have to train through the extreme cold or heat.
Cheapest: IM FL. It is off season for the beach so houses/condos are dirty cheap. Plus, you can drive.
Most Expensive: Lake Placid. There isn't a major airport close by (like Florida) and I have heard that the community price gouges like crazy because of the limited places to stay.
Most Convenient to get around: Florida is easy to navigate due to low traffic. Coeur d'Alene for the same reasons.
Most Difficult to navigate: Arizona, Louisville, Wisconsin are all set in downtown venues which means you park and stay on foot all day.
If there are other intangibles you want to add, let me know and I can amend it.
Monday, December 15, 2008
Ironman in Perspective, part II
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment