Tuesday, October 7, 2008

EPIC

That is the word that I am using to describe this weekends ride. Sometimes it is not enough to just do 100 miles. Sometimes one needs to add a bit more perspective to the situation to understand the magnitude of the ride. Often, when I look at a local century, it just makes a large loop around a central point. When I ride on the SCT, it is just a long out and back then out and back. It doesn't give much perspective. Well the ride this weekend did.

Coach Dan and I stayed in Jacksonville Saturday night after the Ameliaman race. We started out on a Jacksonville trailhead traveling west at about 9 am. For the first hour, I was not feeling good. When I woke that morning I was extremely low energy and the mood set in. I was having difficulty finding my rhythm on the bike and could feel the soreness from the previous days race.

At the 75 minute mark, Dan and JC were to turn around and leave me to the rest of my trip. I plugged along on Highway 90 west finally finding my groove. The scenary wasn't much to talk about. I did manage to pass 3 correctional facilities. I found it bizarre that they were all on the same highway. The road conditions were favorable; providing a nice shoulder and very little traffic. I was beginning to enjoy this ride.

The first town I came upon was Lake City, FL. I had originally anticipated stopping there to refuel as it was about 50 miles into the trip. However, I was in a good groove and had enough fluid to continue on. In Lake City was my ONLY turn on the entire trip. I turned right onto Highway 41 North and was pleased to instantly see a sign that said Valdosta 63 miles. Sweet.

Highway 41 was much of the same. Good conditions and a good mindset. I was really moving at this point. I hit the 56 mile (half ironman distance) at sub 2:30. There wasn't much to see once you left Lake City. In fact, there wasn't any traffic. I felt like I was entering the twilight zone.

At the 3 hour mark I had traveled roughly 65 miles and just dumped my final bottle into my aerodrink so I made the decision to pull off at the nearest gas station. Needless to say that these people don't see too many cyclists. I purchase a few large waters to refuel. One guy asks how far I am riding today? I reply not sure, riding to Valdosta. He stares at me blankly. From here? He asks. Well I started in Jacksonville, I replied. Another deep confused look. Good luck he says as he shakes his head.

At this point I am moving at a faster clip than expected. I text Coach Dan to give him my update and then I plug along. I find my comfortable pace again. Around the 4 hour mark I begin to struggle. It is growing increasingly hot outside and I am a bit tired. I know I lost some speed and power as the fatigue begin to set in. At the 4h 30m mark, I want to be off the bike and out of the saddle.

I make the decision to stop again at the 105 mile juncture. I am overheating and it is causing my stomach to shut down a bit. I find the nearest gas station and douse myself with some more water. I try some gatorade but my mouth is parched and I don't want anything. I text Coach Dan again and wonder where he is.

At this point, I only have about 10 miles to go. I get back on the highway and try to dial in mentally. It is quite the struggle at this point. Then I hear the familiar sound of cowbell as Coach Dan comes flying around me. He helps motorpace me for the final few miles as I reach Valdosta.

The funniest part of the trip is that my watch is saying 114.7 miles as I hit the bridge going into Valdosta. It is a short, steep hill. I haven't had a hill all day. Dan pulls to the side waiting for me to make the call. I'll be damned if I am wussing out at the very end because of a hill. I got out of the saddle and attacked it. I totally ignored the sign that said no pedestrians or bicycles, lol. My power soared to 500 watts. I hit the summit and cruised down the backside. I found the nearest parking lot and collapsed. I was done!.

116.1 miles. Jacksonville to Valdosta
5h 29m of riding
21.2 mph average
158 watt average

And one hell of a sunburn.



1 comment:

Courtney said...

The only stock that I would even consider buying in this day and time, after seeing that sunburn, would be Aloe Vera or if I knew you were a smart Arnie... maybe some stock in #50 sunscreen! Oh well....
WM