So this morning, I was sifting through my personal emails when one in particular caught my attention. Among all the promotions and junk mail, I noticed an email from USAT (triathlon) corporate office. I thought it was their monthly newsletter or some computer generated response to my recent race. For some reason, I felt a bit compelled to open it.
Due to my performance at Powerman Alabama, I am invited to join Team USA and represent the country in the World Long Course Duathlon Championships in Belgium. Suh-weet!!!! This is essentially the Olympics of the duathlon world. And how cool would it be to have a Team USA jacket to wear to events. I would *look* intimidating.
Ok, I will back it up and explain how this happened. Powerman is a qualifier race for Worlds. Each age group is alloted a certain number of slots. For instance, often the top three of each age group qualify. However, if someone declines the invitation, it goes to the next person until it hits a certain rank that usually corresponds with a ratio compared to the winner's time (e.g. 10% of winners time). So in that race, I was 5th in my division and there are 4 slots available. BOO-YAH! Got one.
The race sounds absolutely brutal...12.4 mile run...50 mile bike...6.2 mile run. Ouch. And I don't even want to look at the terrain. If I perform at my absolute best...I *might* be able to break 5 hours. I also don't want to think about the international competition and racing against cycling studs named Normann or Laurens.
But how cool would it be to represent Team USA. They take this thing really serious. There is a parade of countries to kick off the event and a whole host of event all weekend. It is a festival of sorts. And to compete in an area of Europe that is rich in cycling history.
The race actually fits into my calendar pretty well. It is August 9-10. It falls in the middle of Ironman training. In fact, the distances are perfect for Ironman. If I could race those distances in August, Ironman would be much easier.
The only thing holding me back is the cost. This isn't exactly an ideal time to visit Europe. I don't imagine that I can get out of there for under three grand. I probably could do it on a budget and be conservative but I am not sure that is the best bet if I am traveling with a bike. I told myself this year, I was racing on a budget in an effort to save money. The left side of my brain tells me this is not an option right now.
The right side of my brain tells me that is would be soooooper cool to represent my country in an event. Also, this might be my only opportunity at a shot like this. Next year, I enter a new and MUCH more competitive age group. If I competed in the same race, I would have to shave nearly 20 minutes off my current resuts...that is quite the feat. How many people can say they raced against the best of the best and for Team USA?
I have two weeks to decide. I am currently reviewing panhandling tactics, extortion and prostitution. Maybe a rich reader wants to sponsor me. Otherwise I am headed to Buckhead to find a cougar.
Monday, May 5, 2008
Belgium anyone?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
This is awesome, Drew! Good luck Cougar Hunting.
Bluepointe on Tuesday night
Seasons 52 in Alpharetta on Thursday
Johnny's Hideaway on Saturday
Here kitty, kitty, kitty....
Post a Comment