Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Powerman Alabama Race Report

Given that the race was in Birmingham, it provided me the opportunity to travel home for a few days. One of the best parts about going home is the ample opportunity to train. The lake provides nearly 24 hour access to open water swimming and Highway 11 stretches for nearly 30-40 miles with low traffic and minimal hindrances. Plus, a free place to stay is always great.

I woke up Sunday morning at 5 am, grabbing a banana and peanut butter english muffin for breakfast. I had assembled most of my gear the night before but my running shoes somehow eluded me that morning. I loaded up the car and was out of there no later that 5:50. I arrived in Irondale and began setting up my bike and going over a few last minute adjustments. I had decided to swap out my wheel cassettes and go with a 12-25 over an 11-23 for the sake of the hills. It proved to be the right decision.

I was also debating which helmet to wear. I recently purchased a new one but I had yet to train in it. I made the decision to wear it solely based on the fact that it was cold and the helmet covered my ears. It too proved to be the right decision.

I made my way to transition but there really isn't much to do there except rack my bike and put my shoes, helmet and glasses out. At this point, I still wasn't certain what I wanted to wear. It was quite chilly out there. And it was windy. But the sun was also out. I remember how cold I was last year and vowed to not repeat the same mistake. So I decided to layer up, figuring that I could shed layers easier than add them. My made my way to the gym to stretch out.

Powerman wasn't a priority race for me so I wasn't fresh. However, I didn't expect my legs to be quite this heavy. I ran about a half a mile and could feel a lot of stiffness in the body. I wasn't getting loose. I kept telling myself that it was the cold and that I would feel fine once I started running.

Run 1

The race began in waves to help spread out the field on the course. I was seeded with the under 34 men. One of these days, I am going to learn a valuable lesson...I am not a runner. I nearly learned it on Sunday. I made every attempt to run with the big boys but I was dropped within the first mile of the race. I held a 7:21 pace and it seemed nearly everyone else was cruising at a 6:30 pace. Not fair. I maintained an accelerated pace through mile 2. I was dying. My heartrate was in zone 5 and I thought I was on the brink of blowing up. Now I was pissed. I was pissed because it seemed like I was in dead last place. I know this race has the potential to bring out some strong runners but looking at these guys, some of them were definitely not runners. I forced myself to back off during the remaining three miles but my heartrate was still through the roof. All I could think of was that I had blown up in my first event and still had two and a half hours left to race.

The course is a loop through the Irondale-Ruffner Rd area. The first mile is nearly all up hill. Then you have about 2 miles for moderate rollers before you do a flat out and back alongside the railroad. See the course profile below for more details.


Surprisingly, I was having a difficult time staying cool. I was on fire. During mile 3, I shed my arm warmers and gloves. I was debating whether I wanted to discard my tights in transition. However, I was still concerned about a cold bike. I made it to transition in 37:45 (7:36 pace).
Mile splits: 7:21 @ 159; 7:29 @ 162; 7:43 @ 161; 7:56 @ 160; 7:14 (.92 mile) @ 162. I made it to transition about 2 minutes ahead of schedule. I would like to say I was elated, but I was more concerned about the rest of the day.

Transition 1:

Not much to report here. I am usually quick in transition. I did fumble my helmet a bit as I have never put on the new helmet quickly. That is something to practice before next race. I grabbed the bike and I was off. At this juncture I am still opting to not jump on the bike and instead take my time. Time: 1:08

Bike:

For whatever reason, I felt the need to start making up some ground...and quickly. I suffer from the mentality that I know I am a much better cyclist than runner so I hate being passed or behind on the bike. This usually works. I immediately start hammering along the course. The first 7 miles are straight out on Highway 78 toward Leeds. There is a small incline but for the most part it is downhill and FAST. The bike has a turnaround just before I-20 and you begin the long climb back. The climb spans about 400 feet over 3 miles. So it is 10-12 minutes of unforgiving and relentless pain. It isn't a massive hill. Just one that seems to never end. Most of the riders began to die at this juncture.

Once you summited the hill, you were met with a sharp headwind that you fought as you made you way back into town. The course then takes a quick out and back on John Rodgers before coming back to Irondale. I hit the turnaround in good time with an average speed of 19.6 mph. I was fatigued but I was ready to punish the second lap. I think the body thought otherwise.

At this point the athletes competing in the shorter race were off the course, so you know all athletes were your rival. Plus, the course was more spread out. Several times I tried to pick up the pace and drop those around me. It wasn't happening. I told myself to find a comfortable speed and just stick with it. Easier said than done in a race. There was a group of about 4 who played leapfrog the entire time.

On the climb back into town, I realized how beat I was. The legs were burning. Each muscle was nearly depleted of glycogen. And I still had 10 miles to go. I began to count down the time left in the race. I also tried to calculate an aggressive move. As I was coasting toward John Rodgers I determined that it was time to make a move. I knew my legs were shot. I was already questioning my ability to run at a decent pace. I decided that it would be more advantageous for me to hammer the final five miles of the bike. Either way, my run was going to hurt.

At the John Rodgers turn around, I put it down. I simply took off. It was as if people were standing still. I averaged over 25 mph during the final 4-5 miles and caught nearly 20 other athletes. My plan was working....plus it energized me. Bike done. 1.41.34 (19.5 mph)

Transition 2:

As stated earlier, one day I will learn to do the graceful dismount where you jump off the bike and run with it. The thought did enter my mind. As I reached to get my feet out of my shoes, I decided against it....for I hadn't practiced it in nearly 6 months. Nonetheless, I got through transition quickly. 52 seconds to get out of cycling shoes, rack the bike, take off the helmet, put on running shoes and get out of transition. I continue to do transitions really well. 34th fastest on the day.

Run 2:

The second run was over the same course except that you did it in reverse. So you went out on the flat out and back before climbing into the neighborhood rollers. You biggest hill was toward the end but you were able to finish downhill.


I took off from transition still a bit optimistic that I would be capable of maintaining a 8:00-8:15 pace. It is difficult to describe the feeling when you go from biking to running. You are using different muscles and your mind hasn't made the transition. You almost want to run in a cycling motion. Plus you legs feel like brick filled jello.

I was a bit shocked to see my heartrate settle into a steady zone...much lower than earlier. Some of the stronger runners that I passed on the bike began to catch me. That's fine. I was catching all those chumps that went out really hard on the first run. They were gassed. For the first three miles I felt good, all things considered. I was holding a steady 8:00 pace. I made a mistake at an aid station. I knew it was the last one and I wanted some fluid. The volunteers were not holding out cups. So I made the mistake of stopping ever so briefly to grab a drink. Get the body moving forward was painful at this juncture.

I finally hit the hill and half the athletes were walking at this juncture. I tried my best to power up it, know there was a downhill just beyond it. I hit the ballfields and let the momentum take control. I definitely picked it up on the final mile but I didn't attempt to make a kick to finish. Now I wish I had. Run 2: 38:47 (7:49 pace). Mile splits: 7:58 @ 150; 7:58 @ 152; 8:02 @ 154; 8:13 @ 156; 6:34 (.92 mile) @ 158

Total Time: 3.00.04

Nutrition:

1 gel prior to start, 1 gel at the beginning of the bike, 1 gel at the end of the bike, 280 calorie infinit in the aero bottle, half a clif bar. Approximately 700 calories. This seemed to work. I probably need to slightly increase this in the future.


Conclusion
:

I really do love this race. Team-Magic, for being a small, local company, puts on great events. I have yet to have a complaint in the way the run and officiate a race. It is for this reason that I am inclined to continue racing with them. On the otherhand, Powerman is no long a premier race. Due to the course difficulty and volatile weather, many are choosing to not participate. This is sad for a race that used carry an elite status.

Overall, I am very pleased with my time. This sport lends itself to never being happy with results. I want those four seconds back. However, I shaved 20 minutes off last years time...that is a huge improvement. I am not sure I will compete in this race in the future. I am not going to lie...it is tough. I see why people don't come back. It is one of the more challenging races I have ever done. I said after the race, that I have never hurt like that before. Duathlons just plain hurt. Maybe that is why they are declining in participants.

No comments: