Tuesday I took part in the annual Georgia Rides to the Capitol. I have always been interested in this event but due to job obligations and logistics, I found it difficult to participate. This year I decided to take the day off and join friends in riding to and from Roswell.
The event is sponsored by a few local cycling associations and shops. In short, it is an effort to raise cycling awareness. There are a number of starting points but we all arrive downtown a few blocks short of the Capitol before descending to the steps. This year organizers estimated that about 1500 cyclists participated. This number was low due to poor weather conditions.
Nonetheless it was a great event. I decided to start in Roswell and ride the 46 mile roundtrip route. With dozens of police escorting us, we cruised down Roswell Road to Piedmont Road and through Georgia State. All the intersections were blocked off as we made our slow parade down there. At the Capitol we heard from Roswell Mayor Jere Wood and Lt. Governor Casey Cagle. We were served chick-fil-a lunch before heading back north.
Overall it was a great ride. The pace going down was a nice and casual 12 mph. On the way back, it quickly became a race as egos and vanity took over. I held my own but the hills of north Atlanta took it out of me. But we all arrived safely and it made for a fun event.
Here are a few pictures...
Approaching downtown....
the final approach...
Who is that lurking in the back?
Such a media whore....
blah, blah, blah, blah....

Saturday, March 15, 2008
When spandex attacks downtown
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment