Monday, March 10, 2008

Weekend thoughts and musings

I had an opportunity to stop by the Concourse Triathlon Expo (CTEP) this weekend when I was in the suburbs. I always forget how easy it is to network in this community. The result? Well I might have just picked up my first sponsorship....and potentially a second.

I was talking with a guy that develops hydration and nutrition products. He is looking for athletes to test out his products. I wasn't overly impressed with what I tested at the expo but I used his product after my long run on Sunday and felt great all day. While the sponsorship doesn't mean much, it could potentially mean free nutritional products.

Second, I heard back from a sponsor I wrote a while back. Again, nothing big...just socks. He is interested in talking on the phone sometime in the next month when he gets back from overseas travel.

These two sponsorships may only result in about $100 a year but that is more than I have right now. But more importantly, sponsors bring more sponsors. Athletes wearing shirts stir up questions from other athletes and organizations. My goal this year is to perform at a level where I am capable of contacting a few sponsors next year and receive favorable outcomes. I will never score anything big...but a few race fees here and there can go a long way.

So for now, I will be an advertising whore for free gear.

No comments: