I am almost afraid to write this blog in fear that I will jinx myself but right now I couldn't be happier with my running. I still don't have a great feeling about ING and my ability to once again PR, but I know that I have a huge running base underneath me right now (4 months of solid running).
This week is evidence of how much I have improved. Tuesday, I went to the local track for a few half mile repetitions. I haven't been on a track in nearly six months. I would be remiss if I didn't take you back to my mindset for the day. Walking onto a track still gives me chills to this day. It was such a large part of my childhood and the memories of spending every afternoon running are innumerable. So anytime I step onto a track, I am flooded with emotions. I am also flooded with the desire to try to run 60s quarter miles only to find myself struggling to do it in 90s.
Tuesday's workout called for 5x800 at a 10k pace. I did the first two repetitions on the road en route to the track. Then I hopped on the track for the final three. My body was extremely fatigued from Saturday's 10k and Sunday's ride (it still is). I initially questioned my ability to hold a competitive pace for the duration of the workout only to be surprised at how effortless the first 4 repetitions were. The final rep drained me. However, I held slightly better than a 7:30 pace the entire workout.
Then yesterday, I had NO motivation to run. My body is seriously zapped of energy right now. I knew I didn't have the drive to do a 50' tempo run so I reluctantly decided to tackle a hilly route that takes me just over 50'. The legs were dead. There was NO power or torque to get up the hills. I decided to keep it at a casual pace instead of attacking. Imagine my surprise when I logged my workout and realized it was the 2nd fastest time I have ever run on that route. In fact, the fastest time was 3 weeks before Ironman when I was peaking. Compared to the last time I ran the route, I did it about 20s quicker and my average heartrate was 3 beats lower. That is a sign of significant improvement....especially considering it was warm yesterday and I thought my HR was high.
All in all, I am thrilled with my running success thus far. I need to be really smart over the next 6 months as I attempt to maintain my current level of fitness while increasing my speed and efficiency. If feels good to see positive gains and begin to feel competitive again.
Friday, March 7, 2008
Running Improvements
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment