Can I not catch a break on the weekend? I think I have had one good weekend for training this year. It either rains or is miserably cold. I can't ride in the snow or 30 degree temps. This weekend proved to be no different.
The plan was to run on Saturday morning, knock out my long run and bike up a few hours on the bike Sunday morning. Well Saturday morning it was snowing. I still wanted to run and not waste a day. I embarked upon a brief 4 miler to maintain my fitness. It was miserable. The winds were kicking 20+ mph and it was pushing me around. I didn't see the point of running any further. I told myself that I would still ride in the morning and try to make up my run Monday evening.
Well with day lights savings, Sunday morning didn't quite warm up as quick as possible. I had plans in the afternoon despite calls for upper 50s. Imagine my disdain when Sunday afternoon turned out mid-60 temperatures and I was stuck in a car.
Since I felt it was still too cold to ride Sunday morning, I went for a run. The wings, burger and beer were still sitting heavy in the stomach. I told myself that if I could manage 8-10 miles at a slow pace I would be thrilled. It would suffice for the long run.
Well wouldn't you know that I had the greatest run of the year...and I might be able to make an argument for the best long run of my life. I turned around at the 5 mile mark and knew that I was moving. In fact, I negative split the next 5 miles by nearly 2 minutes. When I got back to my apartment I still felt fresh so I kept moving. I will say that the final mile took it out of me.
Total run 12.5 miles in 1:45 (8:23 mile pace)
The key here is that I had 6 minutes to cover .6 of a mile and I would have equaled my Mercedes Half PR (1.51). That means I essentially set a new PR on a half mary training run....while staying in zone2. My HR never rose above 3.5. This gives me plenty of confidence to meet my PR at ING.
If I could sell my triathlon soul for long training runs at this pace, I gladly would. I can't express how happy I am to see my times improving like this. IMFL is still too far away but I can only hope I stay on this path for the next 6-7 months!!!!
Now, I MUST get on the BIKE!!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment