Wednesday, February 2, 2011

January is in the books

One month down. 11 more to go.

As expected, I am not finding ample time to keep this blog updated. I have things to blog about just lack the motivation and energy on most days. Most of my creative thoughts are being put into the FTP blog. Jessica and I are in full content creation mode right now. Tons of stuff to unveil in the next 45 days.

Training is going sufficient right now. I took a week off in the beginning of the month. I did NOTHING for 5 straight days. No trainer. No pool. No strength. I think I needed a rest. And it seemed to help. I feel like I bounced back nicely.

I am marking Monday as my official kickoff in training. I have a half marathon in about 6 weeks. At some point I need to hit my long runs. I WILL run long for the next 5 weeks. I WILL. Last night was the first time since last year that the trainer won. Quite honestly, my legs are fried right now.

Jessica has me working on a posterior chain strength routine that leave my hamstrings screaming for a couple of days. Additionally, I overdid it a bit this past weekend. But...but...but....it was sunny and in the 60s. I bought a new road bike and had to test it out. But I forgot how different the geometry feels and it works a totally different muscle group. Great in the long run. Sucky in the short run. So I started this week with heavy legs. I have a feeling that an ice bath is in my near future.

I am also slowly finding my way to the pool. I have plenty of time to swim. In fact, I have NO excuses seeing as I basically work at the pool or across the street from it. But I like to make excuses. My biggest issue is that I want to swim masters but the times aren't convenient for me. I coach during their early sessions. Then the 9 am class is only MWF. I don't typically work M or F, so I really don't want to commute into town just to swim masters. The masters class by the house has a 9am TT class but I have a personal training client in that slot. SIGH. My life is so miserable, lol.

Overall, I am pleased with January. Taking 5 straight days off hurt but my numbers are still solid. I rode about 40 miles more than last year. And I ran 25 more. My swimming was almost the exact same. Ironically, I took off a week last year in January to recover.

Bike:12h 26m 48s - 220 Mi
Run:10h 59m 08s - 81 Mi
Swim:3h 56m 19s - 12350 Yd
Strength:1h 20m


I don't have a particular goal for February. I suspect my riding will be closer to 250, my running closer to 120 and swimming around 20,000. It isn't quite go time but I feel ramp up. My first race is an olympic this year in mid may. So I don't feel too much pressure...yet.

No comments: