Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Resolution Run 5k

No better way to start off the New Year than with a benchmark race. I didn't expect too much from this race seeing that it was the day after my 50 in 50 ended and my legs weren't feeling strong all week. Plus it was on a hilly course.

Jessica and I arrived in plenty of time. The temperature was nice but it poured the night before and was still raining that morning. We stayed dry, in the car, up until about 15 minutes before the race started. And then it was go time.

In my forgetfulness, I left my Garmin at home. I liked the idea of not having my time, but I also knew that I would go out too hard. And I was right. I seeded myself aggressively and went hard that first mile. I knew I was pacing off 17 minute 5k people but I felt great (don't you always). The first mile had the first of the two big hills. I backed off the pace a bit and let the next pack catch me. I came down off the bridge to a first mile split of 6:15. Oops. That was about 20s too fast.

Despite the next section being the relatively flat part of the course, I slowed, along with everyone else, to about a 6:45 pace. The final mile had one more climb and a sharp descent. And I felt every bit of it. The climb hurt. And the descent was too sharp to fly on wet pavement. I wanted to pick it up but I could tell that I had wasted my energy on the first mile. I had a fast cruising pace but no hard kick and no real desire to kick.

Time: 20:22 (6:35 pace)
AG: 3/29
OA: 27/644

Overall, it was a small pr for my 5k. Just not a good race. I still want to get under 20 minutes which continues to elude me. But for now I will take it and hope for the best in the next round.

No comments: