Monday, November 8, 2010

Finding an offseason goal

I will admit that I am struggling to find a few offseason goals. I am really enjoying unstructured training yet at the same time, I know it is time to get moving and working toward something. But that just sounds painful. (rolls eyes) Plus I am still trying to figure out my schedule. Twice this past week, I had to scrap my training to meet other obligations.

When I lived in Atlanta, training was simple. It was either first thing in the morning or immediately after work. Now, my schedule is different. I have too many options of when I can train. And options are never a good thing.

So I am going to just lay it out there and see where it all falls in March/April:

Strength Training takes the top priority. I prefer to emphasize on this more in the offseason so that I can enter race season strong and balanced. This year, my goal is to train for 20 minutes, 3x a week. I know that sounds simple to some, but I am not talking about 20 minutes in the gym. I am talking about 20 minutes of high-intensity, crossfit style movements. I have the TRX set up outside and by the end of summer I want to be friends with single leg squats, lunges and jack knifes. Throw in a box jumps, kettlebells and burpees and you see why I am less motivated.

Swimming--just get in the pool regularly. Maybe this comes together for me, maybe it doesn't. I don't really feel that I lose too much by not swimming as often in the offseason. However, the aquatics center did just add a 9-10 am masters class MWF so that might become my home.

Bike--Ride, ride, ride. It is almost time to start cursing the trainer. Lately, I haven't focused too much on my power. I let it slide a bit towards the end of summer because I was feeling burned out. But now, I have written two offseason power based cycling plans so it is time to implement them. Also, I will be coaching a few classes each week so that should give me time to get in some solid work. I think my goal will be to ride 300 miles each month. That sounds so easy but it is a stretch for the offseason. I have an upcoming FTP test so that will determine what the offseason goal should be. I still can't reach 4.0 w/kg but I should be able to reach 3.6-3.8 this offseason.

Run--this is where I will focus most of my attention. My big goal is to build to 35 miles a week. It is a slightly arbitrary goal but I think it is in reach. For me, I tend to start struggling around 25 miles a week. So my goal is to slowly build to and then maintain 25 for a few weeks, allowing the body to adapt. Then hopefully I will build again. I really need to focus on my long runs. Right now, they are not happening. I am solid for 4-6 miles on a whim. Sometimes I squeeze in 8. But never beyond that. I want to have a standing 10 mile run for the week. I hope that becomes my mid-to-long run.

Additionally, I want to race two half marys this winter. I want to get that time under 1:30. That means 6:55 miles for the entire 13.1. That also means breaking 20 minutes in a 5k and likely getting under 41 minutes for a 10k. Ouch.

At some point I am sure that I will develop and commit to a few races. In the meantime, I will continue to just keep plugging along and see what kind of results it gets me.

No comments: