It isn't too often that I brag about places to train. Living in Atlanta for over five years, I really grew fond of 3 different places--Stone Mountain (for a while), the Silver Comet Trail and Columns. IMO, Columns is a special place that will be hard to replicate in any new city. The Comet was unique only in the amount of mileage you could travel. And Stone Mountain had good diversity but it grew old quick.
You know a place is special when the parking lot is full at 6 am in late October. In my short time living in Nashville, I have fallen in love with Percy Warner Park. This is truly a gem to the city and a place that I would HIGHLY recommend to any athlete. It has something for everyone.
The park encompasses over 2,600 acres. On my first visit, Jessica and I simply drove through the park and were in awe of its size and beauty. That was just the tip of the iceberg. On my second visit, I was introduced to the trails that are intertwined throughout the mountainous terrain. 3 trail systems cover distances for all abilities with a 2.5, 5 and 8 mile loop that are all connected. This in addition to 10 miles of horse trails that are available for running too.
The cycling is even more breathtaking, but is not for the faint at heart. The whole park encompasses 11.2 miles of road that is open for cycling. I rode the loop last week and found it plenty challenging. The climbs varied from a gentle roll to a steep pitch. The descents were very technical. What I like best about it was that it isn't an up-down course. You might come down quick and go into another climb so you had to remain sharp.
Finally, there are the stairs. The entrance to the park demonstrates is grandeur and beauty. Awaiting you is a quarter mile uphill climb that involves nearly 150 stairs. The view from the top is breaktaking, that is if you can breathe. The climb is about 350 feet over the final half of the climb. And I can contest that the pitch toward the end is steep enough that running is barely possible. Move over stadium running.
So my workout this morning consisted of a 2 mile warmup run on the road entering the park which is flat, then I stormed the steps and returned. I took a 2 minute break, did the steps again and 2 more miles at a faster pace. My goal is to build this to about 4-5 repeats max.
Take a look at the climb: 
Thursday, October 28, 2010
My New Playground
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment