Saturday, October 2, 2010

Not all Transitions are Created Equally

Saturday morning at Age Group Nationals, I overheard a conversation between an athlete and a referee. The athlete was complaining about the flow of transition. He was arguing that where he was racked (near me) provided a 10-15 second disadvantage over those racked closer to the transition entry/exit. I shrugged it off as nothing more than a disgruntled athlete who didn't like his position.

But after racing both days and having two distinctly different racking positions, I think he was onto something. I was thinking back on various transitions throughout my triathlon career. There seem to be two types.

The first is the long, narrow rectangle in which the entry points are on each end. In this case, the people on the outside are disadvantaged by maybe a few feet. And by that, I mean they have to turn and run to the outside rather than making a straight shot through transition.

The second, and slightly more common. It a more square-like transition. Often the entry and exit are on opposite corners (bottom left; top right). Race officials will direct traffic in such a way to minimize any advantage. That way everyone is forced to run both the length and width of the entire area.

Age Group Nationals was designed differently. This was primarily due to the fact that they also had an ITU race. You see in the ITU race, the transitions are just a straight shot because of the low number of participants and racing style. This meant that for the age group races, the transition ended up being a box with the entry and exit on the same side (bottom left, top left). Now you had a distinct advantage for some athletes over others. This is what the competitor was complaining about.

While I will admit that it isn't exactly apples to apples, let's compare my times from the two races. Same transition, just different racked positions:

T1
Day 1: 1:43
Day 2: 1:28

T2
Day 1: 1:12
Day 2: 0:50

Again, I am not going to say that it is the best comparison. I was probably a bit more focused, less winded on day two from the short distance. And that likely makes up for a few seconds. But, the difference between the days was 37 seconds. That is a HUGE time difference. And I DO attribute most of it to the transition layout.

In most of these situations, there isn't anything you can do about it. In this case, the athlete complained, and probably for all the right reasons. In a short race 37 seconds can often be the difference in a number of places--or slots. But don't remain silent on the issue. Talk to the race director afterwards and encourage them to rethink the layout to ensure competitive fairness.

No comments: