Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Longsleeves in July, Waterfalls and a YES!!!

Starting to get backlogged again but at least I have a really good reason this time. VACATION. And a much needed one. After Music City, I had just enough time to shower before jumping in the car and driving north. Jessica and I were taking a vacation, albeit with the munchkins, to upstate New York for a week on the lake. I can't express how excited I was to get out of the blistering southern heat and into the fresh outdoors where the crisp air might give you a chill.

Given that I raced on Sunday, my plan was to take a few days of recovery. Naturally we brought
the bikes on the trip. I even packed my wetsuit in case the water was cold enough. And I used it. We made it to our cabin Monday afternoon all excited about jumping in the water to play. Much to our surprise, the water temp was about 72-73. It was one of the most refreshing dips in a long time.

I decided to go for my long ride mid week since I knew we would be traveling on the weekend. I plotted my route around Skaneateles Lake and took off early one morning. The terrain was brutal. The Finger Lakes were carved out from glaciers millions of years ago. So essentially that are giant, deep trenches. The terrain around them reflected its history.

As I started riding that morning, I was actually cold. It was about 63 degrees out. I can't recall the last time I wore a sleeved jersey in the summer. The climbs were brutal at time and the descents were fast and fun. There was little time to enjoy the picturesque setting given the challenges. I found the natives perfectly accommodating as cycling is popular in the area.

Each day we tried to do something athletic. We spent nearly two full days hiking to various waterfalls in the area. The ones in Ithaca were populated with tourists and locals. But we found a few near our cabin that were remote and desolate. Two of the nights we had a fire outside the cabin. Amazingly enough, we all brought longsleeve shirts and pants. At night, we were huddled around the fire seeking warmth (or smores) from the cool, windy 60 degree nights.

I know it sounds boring to go on and on about the weather but living in the south my whole life, I have a much better understanding of why people spend their summers in these locations. The weather for me was rejuvenating. It was a much needed break from the unbearable heat this summer. The low temps and humidity meant that you went for a run and when you were finished, you wiped your brow had a sip of water and you were cooled down. I didn't miss using a towel and needing an immediate shower after an easy run.

So the trip was more than a success. The downside was spending 15 hours in the car both ways. But the trip had more to offer than just a break from the heat and a vacation. I finally proposed to Jessica. This is where she grew up and I always wanted to propose in a place that would have significant meaning to her. As I have said before, a lot is going to change in the next few months. Life is only getting more and more exciting for me.

1 comment:

Harvey L. Gayer said...

even though i give you a hard time, this was kind of cool in a metaphorical way