Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Rev3 Anaysis and Thanks

The timing and race results for Rev3 aren't in a standard format so conducting solid analysis wasn't as easy as downloading the results. It took more research and I am unable to produce the typical table that I enjoy using.







Swimt1Biket2 RunTotal
Top 100:29:050:02:342:32:290:02:131:29:494:36:12
Andrew0:31:570:02:272:40:310:02:121:45:405:02:49
OA place after leg 27 23 15 14 23 27
AG place after leg 10 7 5 4 7 7



Looking at the results, I feel even better about the race. I am very happy with my swim. Definitely a PR and I assume that I had some help from a short course or current. However, the leaders times don't strike me as super fast. Hopefully, my swim is in a better place than before.

I am always amazed with transition. It seems that in the races where I slow down, I get out of there the fastest. I felt really slow in transition as I took my time. But comparatively, I was in an out. However there is an anomaly in the Top 10. One guy took a nap, so their average is just under 2:00.



I was a little surprised to see such a margin on the bike. But clearly there were some strong athletes at the top. I know I rode it conservatively but even still, I don't know I could shave 8 minutes off my time on that course. I think realistically I could have shaved 5 by riding a bit more aggressive. Not that I am second guessing myself.

The run was about what I expected. I didn't quite get mowed down but there is a clear distinction between real runners and what I attempted to do. It was a solid run for me but I am still out of my league in this area. My open HM time was only better than one person in the top 10.

Retrospect

A lot of people have asked me why I didn't try to squeeze out that final 2:49. I know I could have done that easily. If I was to have the same race again, then I would make a few adjustments that would have saved me at least 3 minutes. But that wasn't the point of the race. I wasn't trying to go sub-5. I actually didn't think it was all that possible for me on that course.

As I mentioned, I knew when I started the run it was possible. But when I began to bonk I saw it slip away. But I was not willing to give up on an otherwise great race. I kept trying to push. So I definitely don't regret not pushing at times to save another 2:49. I think I executed like I want in races. Plus it still leaves a small carrot in front of me. I know sub-5 is achievable for me on a number of course so I am not overly worried about it.

I am however, slightly mad at myself for not pushing harder on the run. I let a guy in my age group pass me on the final hill. I let another pass me with about a mile and half to go. I shouldn't allow this to happen that late in a race. I need to remember that it is a race until the finish line. I don't care that I would have been 5th rather than 7th in my age group. I care more that I let down my guard.

Kudos

I need to provide a few kudos to people that helped me along the way. First, thanks to all3sports for believing in me and providing me the gear and technical expertise to perform well. It is a different feeling when you know you represent a notable brand out there. Second, I want to thank Dan Arnett and Endurance Concepts for his coaching and guidance. I have trained with Dan for two years and there is no doubt that I am a better athlete today from the experience.

Finally, and most importantly, I want to thank my loving girlfriend, Jessica. She continues to show me unbelievable support in my racing and goes far beyond what is expected of her. This marks the second straight year that she sacrificed her Mother's Day to tend to my needs. For that and the countless other things she does, I am a very lucky and grateful person.

1 comment:

Tri-James said...

Solid race. You will always see minutes after the race but while you are in the mix it is seems almost impossible to push harder.

After the fact - sure lots of minutes.