Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Latest and Greatest...or lack thereof

It is no secret in the world of blogging that when one disappears from the bloggersphere that it usually isn't a positive thing. In the world of sports it is usually an injury or illness. I came back from Age Group Nationals a little more excited than normal. I wanted to take about a week off to let my fragile body repair itself before deciding what the rest of the season had in store. I was even pondering a longer race to end the season. Well my recovery didn't go so well.

I spent most of last week sprawled out on my couch wanting to die. At first, I thought it was just the flu as my temperature rose to 102.5. A trip to the clinic produced negative results. Three days later I was calling the doctor back. This time he found the source--strep throat. There goes a few more days.

It has now been 2.5 weeks since I have been on my bike. I have run a few times in between and other than a few flips and dives into the neighbors pool, I couldn't tell you where my swim trucks are located. And all this is fine with me. It isn't want I wanted for myself but it is the hand that I was dealt.

This season was a big bust. I still lack motivation and desire. I feel a bit burned out so I am closing the books on 2009. I need to reflect more on what went right and where I think it all went wrong. I am sure that I will continue to train, I just want to take some time away from it all.

While the weather is nice, I will continue to get on my bike when I can. I want to focus on my running and get my monthly mileage up. I want to get back to where I was at the beginning of the year. I doubt I will visit the pool anytime soon. Instead, I want to take 2-3 months off from swimming and then return in the form of masters with some coaching--an effort to correct my form instead of re-enforcing incorrect technique. I will still race.

But for now, I am going to take myself away from structured training. I will develop my own weekly routines based on how my body feels. I hope this will create some more enjoyment in my life and remind me why I enjoy this sport. I am sure I will find a few 10ks and even a half mary or two.

2 comments:

Tri-James said...

I am sure you will be itching to get back in the saddle.

This looks like a good time to rebuild some of the strength you have lost over the past year. Come back bigger and badder than ever!

Harvey L. Gayer said...

come back to your blog.