Yes...I am alive. I just took a hiatus to get some stuff in order. I wanted to blog but just didn't have the motivation and energy. Alas, I am back.
Two weekends ago, Jessica and I went to volunteer at the Xterra Lock 4 Blast. Her friend helps put it on and they were well short on the volunteers. I thought it would be a great opportunity to give back to the sport. I had an 80 minute run on the calendar so the plan was to help with body marking and the swim then I would head out on my run. No worries.
We arrived well ahead of the race start. We did our volunteer thing for a while and were enjoying our nice morning. The race director came over the loud speaker and announced that a relay team was short a runner. I looked at Jess and shrugged my shoulders. I gave it some time in case others wanted to take the slot before I stepped up. About 20 minutes later, the team was less than thrilled with their prospects. I introduced myself, told them that I was in shape and could run 4.5 miles. They accepted me.
I didn't really know what to expect. I ran on those trails the other day so I knew what the terrain would be like. But that was an easy training run. This was a race. My teammate was a 15 year old female as the swimmer and an 18 year old cyclist. I felt confident that I wouldn't let them down. Then I learned they were racing a relay again friends. I met the other runner. I despise 18 year old cross country kids who are fast as lightening. I thought I might be in trouble if I had to duel it out with him.
The race started and I was taking transition splits. Our swimmer came out of the water about a third of the way back. Once the swim was over I began loosening up. The bike and run were two loops. Our cyclists comes through....in FOURTH place. Gulp. I thought...he went out too hard. I nervously wait in transiition for the exchange. A short time later he comes flying back...in THIRD place. No pressure.
So here I am am in my first off road race and I am starting the run in THIRD place overall. F-me!. To make matters worse, I have NO clue where the course even goes. My plan was to just follow the people in front of me. The leaders were minutes ahead...there was NO one around.
I just take off sprinting...there is podium on the line. I hit my first mile around 7:30 and wonder if I am going to just die. The single track course is pretty technical in nature. There are two steep drops and climbs and one section that you have to stop completely to jump down. At one point I am running so hard that I lose track of what is going on. I wasn't paying attention and wondered if I was even on the right path anymore.
I popped out of the woods and headed back to transition for the the second lap. The worst part was running on the grass. The put the course on the side of a hill so the cambered surface was brutal. I start the second lap still in third place but I can see another runner about 30s down.
As I re-enter the woods I can hear his footsteps in the not so far distance. I know I am toast. I am beginning to hurt at this point. Suddenly he is on my shoulder. I notify him that the trail is his when he wants to pass. He just sticks to my shoulder. I am pushing and pushing but the body is hurting. He makes his move and I try to go with him. I look behind me as we dart out of the woods toward the finish line. I have no one pursuing me so I back off the throttle a bit.
So we ended up 4th overall and naturally the 1st relay team by a large margin. Needless to day, I didn't plan a 4.5 mile LT test through the woods. But all is good. It was a fun race. I am glad I was able to step up for a couple teenagers and the team. Volunteering, racing and hardware. Not a bad day.
Monday, July 27, 2009
Xterra Lock 4 Blast
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment