Monday, July 13, 2009

Trail Running


Traveling always throws a small wrinkle into my training plans but sometimes it affords me the opportunity to return to the basics and find pure enjoyment in the sport.

I abandoned my run workouts for the week and instead headed to the trails for some training. I previously ran the trails at Brasstown during my last visit. This time I tried to do better but the unmarked trails sent me the wrong way. Fortunately between the hiking trails, equestrian trail and golf cart path I was able to wind through the woods and log some mileage.

On Sunday, Jess and I went to a state park that has a few mountain biking trails. My plan was to do about 75 minutes but trail running just beats you down. 5 miles later I was whipped.

I admit that I miss trail running a lot. It reminds me of my youth...spending hours running cross country. Our home course was a beautiful and challenging run through the woods. 10 years later, I am starting to remember exactly how hard it was. And why I don't recall any of my times.

In trail running, you really never get into a rhythm. Up, down, hop, jump. Repeat. The course yesterday was awesome. It had rocks, roots and jumps throughout it. You literally had to stop a few times to maneuver. You also have to let go of time goals when you trail run. I am lucky to hold a 10:00 mile pace. That felt like pushing it.

Most importantly, I know I need to do more of this. It is great cross training. My joints were jolted in a number of directions. I was using muscle groups that I didn't know existed. One of my off-season goals was to focus on non-vertical axis moves. Since swimming, cycling and running generally occur on the same vertical axis, it seems that most of the injuries we receive are due to failure in muscles that support our movement laterally. Trail running combines a number of these elements. Hopefully, I am able to get out more in the offseason and attack this weakness

No comments: