I am left wondering if the novelty of doing an Ironman has run its course in the triathlon community. Has it become such a bucket list item that only those who are competing, their family and closest friends actually care?
Sure that is an elitist attitude but hear me out. Over the past few years there has been a significant decline in following participants from the online communities. This year IMCDA and IMLP passed without much fanfare.
Where has the love gone? In the past it seemed that there were dozens of people signed up for these races. The online community rallied around its participants. People spent all day watching the races and commenting on people's performance. There were comments flying left and right. The support for the well known participants was equally rivaled by all the first timers.
It just seems to me that the love has slipped. Maybe it is because I am out of the loop. Maybe I am just disconnected this year. Or maybe, it has become a bucket list thing that everyone is doing so it isn't receiving any fanfare from the masses. What do you think?
(this isn't to discourage all the people training for their first, second, third, etc. Clearly I love the IM distance and have traveled many miles to watch them. If you want me to follow you, drop me a line. I promise to show you support.)
Thursday, July 30, 2009
Where has Ironman gone?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I follow your blog occasionally from BT, and I was thinking the same thing myself this year. However, after some thought, I think that its my attitude that has changed about it. I think the novelty of it has wore off for me, but I still talk to alot of our newbies in our tri club that are completely taken by it, as I once was. So Im with you.. has it changed, or have we changed? hmmm.. :)
I followed along online all day- online meaning ironman.com.... I wasn't on BT like I have been in the past. But it was more because I had other things going on and couldn't follow 3 things at once...
So I agree with the other poster. I think we've changed. I'm still enamored by it and will race another in the future when I can train for one...
catching up on all things blog related. first off, my thoughts are with you guys. second, I spent all night watching my friends come across the finish line at IMLOU, so I don't think it's gone, but I have noticed that there doesn't seem to be as much fanfare. I'm hoping it'll pick back up when everyone gets restless and decides to give it another go 'round. I'm for sure going to need every piece of advice possible for IMCdA next year ;)
Post a Comment