There is a lot going on right now in my world. Training has been average over the last few weeks. I haven't really pushed the pace but instead held the status quo. On Thursday I set out on my typical running intervals workout and had a nasty wakeup call. On my second of three intervals, I could tell that my right knee was getting a bit stiff. I hoped it was just because I was pushing it up the hills and hadn't fully recovered from the weekend's race. On the third interval it stopped my dead in my tracks. My IT band was killing me.
I tucked my tail between my legs and walked home. I sat around most of the night concerned that I am slowly going back down the injury route. I hopped on the foam roller a few times, I popped a few too many advil and I went to bed hoping the next day would bring me some relief.
It was up to me to try out the knee on Saturday mornng. My schedule called for a 10 mile run. I also scored a free entry into the Big Peach 5k which was held less than a mile from my house. The plan was to head out around 7 am on a six mile run. I would know within the first 20 minutes if the knee was going to play ball. I routed myself in a way that I would end my 6 mile run at that start line of the 5k and then race the 3.1 miles followed by a slow run back home.
Luckily, the knee held up. I head down and through Brookhaven while covering 5.7 miles prior to joining up with all the 5k participants. I thought this was just a small, local 5k but the 3-400 people indicated otherwise. The course was simple because it is the same route that I run nearly everyday. I didn't really have any expectations, I wanted to run hard but keep myself from going all out.
I hit the first mile at about 6:50. I felt really good but I knew the pain was coming in the form of a few hills. The second mile slowed to about 7:20. I backed off the pace going up the hill as that has been the irriation stimulant in my knee. When I hit Peachtree, I opened it up a bit more. Most people were gassed by that point so I just cruised to the finish line. Overall time 22:19 or 7:11 pace.
I am pleased with this. I haven't run an open 5k in nearly three years and I think I went 24:01 at that race. I also know that had I not run for 50 minutes prior to the race then I would have broken 22 minutes. That is the goal. I then grabbed some water and cruised back to the house. 10.2 miles in the bank.
While I have been mum on the subject, I made the decision to race Gulf Coast next weekend. When the knee flared up on Thursday it caused me to re-evalute things. But today's run gives me the validation that I need. Sadly, I learned that online registration closed last night. Just my luck. Fortunately, there is on-site registration so I emailed the race director to ensure that slots are available. Guess I will find out what I have in me next weekend.
Saturday, May 2, 2009
Knee Issues, Big Peach 5k and Gulf Coast
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I was looking at Gulf Coast also - so there is on-site registration - cool!
Post a Comment