Thursday, April 30, 2009

Balance (open thread)


I have so much to talk about but I just don't seem to have the time. Today's topic is balance. This issue seems to come frequently in our daily lives. Jess and I have talked about it a lot lately too. It came up today in my mentor thread. The inevitable question is

How do you strike a balance between the sport(s) and other obligations in life? When life feels out of balance what do you do to achieve equilibrium again?

We all wear different hats as friends, parents, significant others, community volunteers, boss, employ, mentor, athlete, etc. Balancing is a very difficult act. Jess read an interesting passage the other day that basically said that multi-tasking ensures that you will never be really good at one thing. Multi-tasking is a way of life now and it does breed mediocrity in some parts of life as you shirk responsibility in favor of other obligations.

I realized all this early this morning as I looked my house and found it in shambles. Clothing everywhere, tri gear spread as if a hurricane just came through. I have also be feeling this lately at work. I feel like I am not being a good manager and employ. I am not giving work 100% because my time and energy is focused everywhere (nevermind I am blogging from work). Essentially, I am not balanced. I feel a bit stretched thin.

Consider this an open thread. How do you deal with the question posed above? Talk amongst yourselves as I try to switch back into work mode..

Oh....look....something shiny.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Ugggghhhhh!!!!!! I don't know what the answer is. I know for myself I have to constantly re-adjust priorities in a deliberate way. For example, it used to be that I really valued doing all of the hosuework around here myself, but now that I have gone back to school and I have less free time, I find myself really stressing out about the house not being clean to my standards. Do I focus more on housework? NO! I re-adjust my priorities and either accept a lower standard or get a cleaning lady. That's it...there is no room for guilt.
Sitting down and writing out priorities every week is a great way to focus on what really matters and not waste time on ancillary things. Once I accept what my priorities ARE, I can act on them. And it's ok if they change on a weekly basis! I think the key is intention.

Spot said...

OK, we'll do this again :)
To deal with balance issues, like Jessica said, start with listing priorities. I have to juggle Terah (wife), the boys, work, scouts, soccer, statewide professional obligations, local civic ogligations and diocese work. With all that, training has to fit in. The kids and Terah always come first. I have tried to be at as many of the boys events as I can. I have tried to let Terah has as much flexibility to do the things she needs/wants to do. I have it a little easier in that I am a partner in my law firm, so I can adjust hours a little easier. It also helps that my partners strongly believe in being involved with your kids while they are kids. Training is what will suffer from time to time. And mostly it is the long rides, because they are so long. I try to make up for it by running faster :)
seriously, I stopped getting uptight about the house not being absolutely perfect. I try to keep our financial obligations low so that does not create pressure (not quite back to where I want to be yet, but better) I don't worry about social schedules as much, though we enjoy doing things from time to time.
The training is in place of drinking a lot (like I did when I was younger) or taking whatever drug de jour everyone takes to handle reality these days. Terah understands and appreciates that and does not give me grief about the training. I know that is a great gift that a lot of others don't have. I also let her get her running in so she can feel better.
I think the bottom line is I'm not looking to be happy. I'm looking for peace. To me that is where I'm trying to get to. Closer now than I have been, but not there all the time.
Hope that helps (probably not much :) )

Harvey L. Gayer said...

I just work less Dollar. That gives me all the time I need to do whats more important.