I can admit when I don't understand things. And tapering is one of them. I understand the benefits and why we do it. What I don't understand is the effects on the body. This isn't the first time I have blogged about it, here, and it certainly won't be the last. As an athlete you look forward to taper. But then it arrives and you hate every minute of it.
I understand the aches and pains that occur from the weeks/months of stress and fatigue. What I don't understand is the mental aspect of it. I wish I could trick my mind. I wish there was a way to prevent my mind from realizing that the race is here.
The funny thing is that physically I am not really tapering until this weekend. My workouts this week are on par with the previous weeks...tempo runs and z4 rides. But as usual, I have NO desire to do anything. I came home Wednesday night and was so defeated by the thought of riding the trainer that it didn't happen. The bike is still set up in the middle of my living room. I got on the bike and tried....twice. I had no desire to workout.
Thursday morning I headed out to run. My workout called for 2.5 miles easy and 2.5 miles hard. I did 3 easy. I didn't want to push it. I knew better. I knew pushing it would benefit me more. I tried to motivate myself and I had nothing. I was done.
During taper I become a big baby. I become crabby and cranky. It just amazes me how easy it is to get mentally defeated during this time. I spend weeks staying mentally strong to put forth solid effort when I don't want to workout. But 2 weeks before the race I am flat as a board. And how is it the my mental strength overcomes my physical strength? My body doesn't know it is tapering....well except that the mind constantly reminds it. I guess there are things that I will never understand.
Friday, March 27, 2009
What is it with Tapering
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment