Friday, May 16, 2008

Tapering Madness

AHHHHHHH! I hate this madness. Tapering. It really sucks. I wouldn't wish this upon my worst enemies. Well most of my worst enemies are my competitors so they are probably aware of it too.

Tapering--"A reduction in training intensity before a major competition to give the body time to recover and adapt so as to reach a peak in performance."

To the common person this seems simple. As your event approaches you begin to back off and rest up. It seems like your body would openly accept and look forward to the break. Well it does in weird, uncomfortable way.

I don't know all the science behind it with neurotransmitters and dopamine levels, but tapering for a race only proves to me that this sport is truly a drug. I feel just like a rehab patient attempting to kick a chemical dependency. Once peak training (if I can call it that) is complete, the body completely shifts gears. If you think about it, my levels of adrenaline and testosterone are altered. I was focused on the goal for so long but now I can begin to taste it. I go from happy go lucky to very irritable in the matter of moments. I lose complete focus on work and training. I am very sleepy however, I can't sleep at night. I want to go out every night and play catchup on my social life.

It is one of the weirdest feelings in the world. I do NOT want to workout. I act totally lethargic. Yesterday I swam for 20 minutes. Simply, I didn't want to swim...so I didn't. I wanted to curl up on the couch and sleep. Yet, I haven't fallen asleep before midnight all week. I get into bed tired but my body isn't exhausted. My chemical levels have shifted.

And all of this is normal. My body is in a bit of shock...despite still working out 7-8 hours this week. But recovery is the MOST important part of training. This is the time where you heal and actually gain speed.

One week from today I will be in Ohio. Like a light switch the adrenaline will be back and it will be time to race. I am ready for the madness to end.

No comments: