Monday, March 16, 2009

Season Outlook

For those who haven't noticed, I updated my 2009 calendar to the left. As mentioned, I am backing off the super long distances and hopefully allowing my body the heal a bit while focusing my time and energy on adding a bit of speed.

My year will roughly translate into a base, build and peak model. Right now I am just hanging out in the base phase (with specific training of course). Coach Dan and I are stressing the body in a number of different ways to see exactly how it is responding to training. So far, so good. That means I will use NOLA as a field test. I have some general expectations but not too many. Instead, it will become the benchmark for the year.

From there, I have about 14 weeks until my next half-iron. The focus here will be to build my bike. I will go into a heavy training period where I expect to see my FTP increase significantly as I spend more time in the saddle. The goal will be to maintain the swim and run knowing that more of both should translate into faster times.

Finally, as I move toward Augusta in September, we will focus on the run. The plan is to let the cumulative effect of running guide me toward the final race and then get more specific. The key is to stay injury free on the season and if I can accomplish that then this plan should work. The great thing is that I get to experiment and make adjustments.

Beyond those key races, the schedule is littered with some fun along the way. I haven't really spent anytime in Georgia racing so this gives me that opportunity to see what I can do against local talent. Plus it will keep me a bit more motivated.

This schedule also affords me some downtime. I would like to do some epic training between NOLA and the next half. I would like to take a week off and essentially replicate the training camp schedule sans the blue water of Kona. Also, the schedule should allow some downtime. A vacation is in the works....and it does NOT include my bike. :)

As always the schedule is tenative and subject to change. I like the idea of finishing tri season early. If all goes well then it should launch me into a nice off season running plan and just in time for some football.

No comments: