Apparently I am in a blogging rut right now because thoughts aren't spring from my mind in the way they should. Or maybe I am just caught up in thinking about how routine I am.
I realized this yesterday after riding 2 hours at Columns Dr. For those not familiar, Columns in a 2.5 mile road that is relatively flat and has NO stops. Cyclist often ride there because you can to a 5 mile loop without much interference. I realize yesterday that I rode over 40 miles there. This would be the equivalent of running 5-7 miles on a track. For most people that would be mentally draining. But it didn't bother me.
So I began thinking about why it is that I can ride Columns for 8 laps or on the Comet each weekend without it bothering me but mentally, I can't stomach the trainer much more than 45-50 minutes. Is it really two different mentalities?
The simple answer is the level of engagement. When I am on the road, I am engaged. I am scanning the terrain, watching for cars, listening to my body. This keeps me alert the entire time. The opposite is true on the trainer. I am not mentally engaged at all. But I can't help to think that NOT being mentally engaged would be easier. I am amazed by people who can put on their Ipod or a movie and just ride indoors for 2 hours. It sounds simple. I have tried. I have put on a movie or basketball game AND ipod. Still sucks for me. I have tried to play games with my workout on the trainer...it just won't happen for me.
Being a very rational person, this all still seems to fly in the face of conventional wisdom. Sure we all prefer the road to the trainer but why does the same 50 miles on the Comet not bother me after 3 years but 50 minutes on the trainer is like taking a kid to the doctor. Why is it that worrying about potholes, inclines and cars seem 10x easier than just sitting there and spinning at 190 watts for ten minute periods.
I am not sure if I will ever have the answer to this questions. I guess it just works for me. Maybe it is time to tackle bigger questions such as how many laps do you have to complete on Columns before you actually get dizzy. Apparently more than eight.
Sunday, March 15, 2009
No More Trainer Workouts
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment