There are moments nearly every season where you realize that you are making mistakes of the past. One of these days, I promise to learn my lesson. NO big races early in the season. At the time, April sounded warm. I mean, Atlanta doesn't have cold winters (comparatively). That should provide me ample time to get in a few long rides without a problem. (Just shakes my head).
No more early season races. As much as I hate the trainer, I starred at it Saturday morning wondering if I could honestly endure 2.5 hours on it. It sounded reasonable. Well, compared to braving the 30 degree temperature that awaited me outside the house. For I had allowed that asshole Marc Street (damn Canuck) to drag me out for a 9:00 am start. I knew it was the right call but the thought of riding at 1:00 when it was 55 and sunny sounded SO much more enticing. Alas, I bundled up and dared Jack Frost to come get me.
I have a simple theory when it comes to cold weather and working out. Inherently, I believe that there is no such thing as poor weather; just poor gear selection. This is why I can run in 15 degree weather. I have the right gear. Cycling....not so much. I am too cheap to invest into warm clothes for those 3-4 rides a year. The cost-benefit analysis doesn't workout in my head when I look to buy a $150 pair of winter tights. So, instead, I just bitch about it.
During my first year of cycling, I adopted the rule that I would not ride if it was under 45 degrees. It was simple, there was no need. I wasn't trying to be a serious triathlete. When I started training for IM CDA, fear was a solid motivator. I lowered the bar to 40 degrees and invested in some tights. But I never made that next leap to wind resistant, warm gear. Hence, the debacle that unfolding on Saturday.
I rolled up to the comet bundled up like Ralphie's brother in A Christmas Story. I had cycling socks on, with knee high soccer socks over them and toe warmers on the shoes. I had on my cycling pants, with another pair of tights on them. I wore a under armor long sleeve shirt, long sleeve jersey and a cycling jacket. Then I put on my gloves and I always wear my aero helmet to keep my ears warm.
I survived the ride but I wasn't happy. As planned, I overheated my upper body a bit. This works for me because it warms my hands as the blood rushes that direction. So for the first time, my hands weren't frozen. But my legs and feet were numb. Honestly, my legs felt like bricks. I had no perceived effort out there. If I thought my cadence was at 75 it was at 95. If I thought I was doing 200 watts I was at 120. I had no clue what I was doing out there. 2.5 hours later I just laid in the parking lot waiting for my feet to warm.
Maybe I should invest in some warm tights....but I won't get around to it until March...when the weather gets warmer. Hence the cycle continues
Monday, February 23, 2009
Cold Weather Riding
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment