Saturday, July 12, 2008

Temptation is a Bitch

Things aren't getting any easier. I talked to my physical therapist yesterday and told her I wanted to take a different course of action. Two and a half weeks in therapy and my body simply wasn't responded. My body always responds with two or three treatments. This wasn't what she wanted to hear; however, she didn't really put up a fight. She knew how frustrated I was. She was frustrated too. I made a few calls, got a referral to an otherpedic and will see about a cortisone shot.

So now I am sitting in Chattanooga. Friends are out on a century ride that I really want to do. My shiny, clean bike is staring at me wondering when she will be ridden again. And triathletes are rolling into town and an unfathomable rate. The town is transforming into a race. And I am sitting here injured.

I sat out last year because my body wasn't completely recovered from Ironman. I wanted this race this year. This is the only race that has ever broken me. Two years ago, it was my third tri ever. To this day, it is the only one that has ever broken me. I learned that day what a bonk was. I got on the run feeling great and then my body stopped. I couldn't run...at all. I learned a lot that day. In preparation for the season, I wanted my revenge. And this race fit nicely into my plan.

I am so tempted to say fuck it and do the damn race. Yes it will hurt but I can't really cause any more damage to the injury. Walking hurts it just as much. I know the right thing to do is NOT race but I am so frustrated with the injury and I just want to go out and punish the body. I want to hit the water and give it 100%. If I am spent, I pull out, if not I continue. I want to get on the road and hammer the bike. I want to take out some aggression. It is 26 miles. I can do that still drunk. If I hurt then I stop in T2. Otherwise, I hit the run and see what happens. All my gear is here in the room. Temptation is a bitch.

No comments: