Friday, February 29, 2008

Forecast says GO!!!

This is the first weekend in quite some time that the forecast looks perfect for training. Partly sunny with a high of 63 tomorrow and sunny with a high of 67 on Sunday. I am not sure if there is better triathlete training weather. So it is off to training and training and training.

I have mixed feelings about things right now. As expected, trying to balance tri training and a training for a half marathon has proved a bit more difficult as expected. My biking fitness has significantly suffered. To my credit, we have had crummy weather compared to last year. I am more than happy with my run volume. That is through the roof and a solid 80-100 miles a month will hopefully go a long way in November. I am relatively pleased with my swimming. It appears to be stagnate but the first break in the work schedule and I think I will take care of that via Masters class.

So the goal for the weekend is to ride, ride, ride and ride. At this point last year, I had already accumulated over 400 road miles. This year I am under 250. In part, an early season Ironman race will strike enough fear into you to keep you motivated and moving. I am not all that concerned about this year's early races. Powerman Alabama is about 34 miles. That gives me about a month to get there competitively. I will probably limp into that race a bike on the bike but hopefully my run is stronger than in years past for that is where I clearly got beat.

As after tomorrow's 10k, the plan is to do an easy 45-60 minute recovery ride back on my end of town. Then on Sunday, I need a solid 3-4 hours in the saddle. It is going to suck and hurt bad...but it is needed.

Plus....next week is going to bring me a new little toy :)

No comments: