Monday, March 14, 2011

Tom King Classic Half Marathon

Go big or go home. That was my approach for Saturday's race. I had one goal. I only wanted one outcome. Anything less was unsatisfactory for me. And maybe that was wrong of me. But more about that in a future blog.

I felt really good the day before. I went for an easy 35 minute run in the morning. I and put together a strong 70' minute ride in the evening. I made sure I ate well. I was in bed, in my tights, at a very reasonable hour. As usual, I was a little wound up. Maybe it was not having raced lately or nervous that I was really over stretching.

The race had a different feel for it. It is very much a community event. It has a 5k run and 3k walk prior to the half marathon. That means gun time wasn't until 8:30. We arrived around 7:00 and I took the first hour to work with FTP athletes that were racing the 5k. We were able to watch them participate before needing to warmup. I never felt rushed. I liked being on my feet moving around prior to the race.

I entered the corral moments before the gun started the race. I knew what was needed at nearly every step of the race. My plan was to cruise for the first 4 miles. And then begin to slowly picking it up through 10 miles. Then I needed a solid 5k to finish off a killer race. I knew it was a stretch but I thought it would come down to two things--establishing a steady pace in the beginning and having the heart to kick in the end.

Unfortunately, neither of those panned out for me on Saturday. Last year, I started ING half mary with a fast first mile. I didn't want to make that mistake this year. So I paced myself. First mile was under control. Nice and smooth at 6:57. I let the jitters move out and worked to establish a smooth pace around 7:00. The next two miles ticked off at 7:03 and 7:04. Smooth and in control.

Or so I thought. Mile 4 slipped to 7:10. Hmmm. This is a flat course with little to no elevation gain. Maybe it was a false flat. Mile 5 is slipping even more. 7:15 pace....7:20 pace. WTF??? I don't feel tired yet. I still feel strong but my mental strength is slipping fast. Next thing I know, I am 30s off pace.

Houston, we have a problem.

I tell myself to make it to the turn around and then mentally reset. But things aren't looking good as I make the turnaround at 6.3 miles. I tell myself to run one mile at a comfortable pace and then negative split the backside. I have always been stronger on the back side.

No go. It just isn't happening today. 7 miles in, I am reduced to a 7:45. Just trying to hold it together now. 8 miles and pace is shot, I am over it. It is going to a be a LONG jog back. I take some time to talk to other struggling athletes. Misery loves company. I learn that most have no clue how close they are to still meeting their goals. Two guys were ahead of pace.

I decided to completely shut it down at this point. There is no reason to trash the body. It is time to start recovering. I take my time at each aid station and put back some fluids. I am also taking walk breaks each mile. Time to focus on the next race.

I ended up crossing the line at 1:50 (8:25 pace). I realize that for many this would be a great race but it was nearly 20 minutes slower than I anticipated. I really don't have an excuse. Likely, I was overstretching in my goal. I just didn't have it that day. I went for it and it backfired.

I was generally in a good mood after the race. You never want to have a bad race but I do believe in going for it every once in a while. And I don't regret going for it. I think I made the right call in completely shutting it down. This was a low priority race and had little implication on my upcoming season. I even had the energy to coach a group ride 1.5 hours after crossing the finish line.

Now onto more important matters....

2 comments:

Tri-James said...

When you go for it and I mean really go for it – you do not miss by seconds. You either nail it or come in 20 minutes late. Shutting it down was the right call. You would be kicking yourself more if you tried to make up the ground and miss the mark by a minute or two. You would be saying, “What happened in the middle of the race? I nailed the beginning and the end!”

On a side note, I appreciate the comments regarding ‘race weight’. There is a fine line between low weight and optimum performance.

Andy said...

I like the mantra of "Go big or go home." Kinda falls in line with another one of my favories, "work hard, party harder."

I agree with you shutting down. And it is funny, people who are not trying to put in a race like you were see it as quitting in a sense, where you look at it as "living to fight another day." No point in frying your legs for something that is not going to happen. Besides at the point that you decided to back off, it then became a fun run :) Albeit a long one.

Congrats on your finish and looking forward to hearing more about your upcoming race season.