As you can see, time continues to elude me. I used to take great pride in blogging but I guess since it is also my job, my personal blog continues to take a back seat. So much to say, so little time and energy to get it out.
Nonetheless, race season is officially here. This weekend I have my first real race of the year--Tom King Classic Half Marathon. It is flat, fast and on a fairly familiar course for me. It has all the makings of a great race. Well, except...
My long runs continue to hinder my progress. This is nearly two years of rarely hitting a good long run. Long run to me is 10 or more miles. I don't know why I can't do it. It is as if there is a mental block. I used to love long runs. I used to love sitting in z2 for 2 hours. Not anymore. They just don't happen for me.
So this leaves me feeling really unprepared for next weekend. I know I am running more than last year. I don't quite know if I am running better than last year. Fortunately, I keep an extensive training log that allows me to run some basic analysis on the situation.
So last year, I completed the Atlanta ING Half Mary in 1:36:04 (7:11 pace). I knew during and immediately after the race that I ran it stupidly. I went out WAY too hard, felt a bit flat and let go a bit toward the end. My goal for the race was 1:35. Finishing 64 seconds after your goal kinda sucks. But I knew I easily had a 1:35 in my. It was just a matter of using my head.
So my goal this year made that next big leap. I want to run a 1:30 half. I tend to think that real runners begin at the 1:30 mark. That is simply my opinion. I really want 1:29:xx but for now I will settle for 1:30:xx. That is a big leap in a matter of a year. One that I am not 100% certain I am ready to make. My training has been slightly sporadic. But the volume is there.
I took the opportunity this year to train more by volume than intensity. I wanted to see what would happen. I did the 50 runs in 50 days challenge. I have a regular running routine. I have long felt that running was my weakness. And I don't really even know how I survived with such low running volume. Last year, I was lucky to get in 20 miles a week. This year it was different.
Data on the four months of running prior to race
|
| Last Year | This Year |
|---|---|---|
| November | 57.2 | 103.7 |
| December | 83 | 121.3 |
| January | 56.8 | 81 |
| February | 77.4 | 84.9 |
|
| 274.4 | 391.9 |
| Weeks Out | Last Year | This Year |
|---|---|---|
| 1 | 16.5 | 27.5 |
| 2 | 20.9 | 9.5
|
| 3 | 25.7 | 21 |
| 4 | 23.4 | 27.1 |
| 5 | 14 | 26.4 |
| 6 | 14.3 | 25.1 |
| 114.8 | 133.1 |
So my monthly volume shows a 41% increase in total running or about 100 miles more. Additionally my weekly volume shows a significant increase (despite being ill for 5 days last week). Even with the abysmal 9.5 mile week, I was able to bounce back to 27.5 the next week and would have been 30+ had it not been for a series of thunderstorms.
But lost in all the mileage is the lack of long runs. This year I have likely passed 10 miles 3-4 times total. And I can think of two runs that were horrible. But looking back on last year, this seems par for the course.
I don't quite know if I will reach my time on Saturday. I know it is a bit of a stretch. Based on a hilly 5k I did in January, the running calculators predict 1:33. Blech. The course is flat so I know that will help. Guess we will see if I can hold 6:52 pace for the entire race.
1 comment:
Keeping my fingers crossed for you. Can't wait to pick up my packet this coming weekend, so I can feel like race season has officially arrived. My training year, as always, has started late, so my race time will suffer. I think as long as I can get it in under 2 hours this year, I will be happy although it will not be a PR for me.
It looks like you have put in a fair bit of work over last year, and I think it will pay off. Just negative split it ;) Hope you had a great weekend!
Post a Comment