Monday, September 20, 2010

Peak, Overextending and Taper

Finally it is here. Taper week. And it could not have arrived at a better time. I made it through my 10 day peak feeling pretty good. I felt relatively strong on my runs. My bike intervals were solid. And this morning I had a really good swim. Hopefully that means things are coming together for me.

The downside is that I have been overextended for the past few weeks. If there was ever a time to clone myself, it is now. I have literally needed to be in 3 different places a bunch of time--Atlanta in the office, Atlanta working on my house, Nashville moving the business along. Add to that additional traveling and I was a groomsman in a wedding this weekend. (I want to develop a graphic of where I was for the month of September)

So while the body somehow miraculously held up during my peak week, I am officially beat--mentally. I keep telling myself to just hold it together for another week. Fortunately, I have my pre-race massage scheduled for tonight. That should help, except that I am leaving for Nashville immediately afterward for an early Tuesday meeting. That means my traveling to Tuscaloosa this week will be via Nashville.

I am scheduled to race Saturday at Age Group National Championship. The Saturday race is an Olympic distance. This is the race that I prepared for all season. Guess we will see what happens. I am also racing on Sunday in the Sprint Championship. The plan there is simply to play the numbers game and see if I can get a Worlds slot to go to Beijing next summer.

Now I just need to make it through this week, catch up on some much needed sleep, eat well, hydrate and attempt to de-stress prior to next weekend. And then race my ass off.

1 comment:

Tri-James said...

Try to enjoy the taper. I have skipped age group nationals every year because I am spent by fall. Good luck!