Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Back to the Mountains

One of my favorite parts of living in Atlanta is the ability to go riding in the North Georgia mountains. I certainly don't take advantage of the opportunity enough. But I manage to get up there a few times a year and remind myself how much it hurts...err fun it is.

Last Saturday, Dan threw down the challenge. Apparently, I talked a big game last year about trying to break two hours on the front three gaps. I remember trying last year and riding a 2:11 over the ~35 miles. I wondered if it could be done under two. Certainly not for the weak.

So we headed up for the morning and started just beyond the rock pile. I could tell from the beginning that I didn't have my climbing legs. But I still needed to work with what I got. The climb up Neel's was long and typically uneventful. I knew I needed to be under 50 minutes to the top to be in contention. I came in around 52 minutes. I pushed a bit but the body wasn't reacting in the way I wanted.

Anyone who rides with me knows that I am pretty much fearless on the decent. My plan was to drop to the lowest position I could, mash the hardest gear and not lose anytime. I maxed out just under 45 mph on the day. I was locked and loaded on the downhills and nearly missed the turn for Wolf Pen.

Of all the gaps, Wolf Pen is my favorite. It is steep but not too long. It is easily the second hardest of the six. But the pain doesn't last forever like it does on Hogpen. And it is short enough to not lull you to sleep like Neels or Jacks.

I turned onto the road hitting the hour mark. I could tell that I was about 2-3 minutes behind schedule. I pushed Wolf Pen as I normally do but I didn't have any pop in the legs. I still gave it an aggressive push and crested it in a good time. The downhill was fast and fun.

The second part of the plan was to hammer the flats--especially the area between Wolf Pen and Woody's. I always forget how deceiving that area is. It is far from flat and the rolling terrain beats you down just enough.

When I turned onto Woody's I knew that the goal wasn't in sight for the day. I was still wanted to give it my all so I hammered up the last mountain and enjoyed the final 10 minute decent.

Overall time: 2:04
Last year: 2:11

I will have my revenge in a few months when my legs are a bit more fresh.

No comments: