Monday, May 10, 2010

Kudos to Rev3

I know I will have a lot more to say on the subject in the coming day but I wanted to put out a general update regarding the race.

Total time: 5:02:49
That is a 20 minute PR for me. I was engaged in 95% of the race. And I nearly loved every minute of racing. For me, I feel like I removed a huge monkey from my back. After the NOLA debacle and GCT pathetic performance, I really wondered if I had it in me to race this distance anymore. I think I quieted those demons in my head. More to come later.

Instead, I want to give some major kudos to the people at Rev3 for putting on a great race. I previously blogged that I had high expectations and they didn't fail to deliver. I arrived on Friday afternoon as the expo was setting up. I worked the all3sports tent next to Heather Gollnick for a while so I got to pick her brain about the race. In my opinion, the race had those intangibles that are missing in the bigger races. It was very athlete focused. It wasn't a stuffy, corporate environment. It was a fun, family focused atmosphere.

What I liked:

  • Family focus. Outdoor concert. Little Rev race. Giant bouncy things for the kids. Splash pool behind the finish line. The goal of Rev3 is to make the race an experience for the whole family. Kids had something to do for 3-5 hours during the race. I bet that made a huge difference for families.
  • Giant jumbotron at the finishers line that broadcast footage from the course and updates on athletes.
  • Computers where you could look up your results/splits after the race. I also assume they were updated in real time so you could track the athletes.
  • Pros were accessible. The panel was held outdoors and the pros were seen mingling amongst the plebs most of the day.
  • Good swag. Visor, shirt, ls shirt, medal.
  • Easy, no hassle check in.
  • Wooden blocks in transition instead of racks. Makes things much easier.
  • BEAUTIFUL course. Very technical. Challenging. Well marked. You never were bored. It was tough, fast and fun. Everyone I talked to said the course was awesome.
  • Challenging but fair run. Run was shaded on a greenway which was nice.
  • Tons of timing mats. No way to cut the course
  • Police presence everywhere. I think all of Knoxville's finest were staffed on the course.
  • More volunteers than I have ever seen. And volunteers in some of the most rural areas giving up their Mothers Day to the event.
Room for improvement:
  • Confusing transition. There were some swim/bike and bike/run issues going on. I think they will workout these kinks in the future.
  • Small field. Only 260 registered for the half. Only 180 race.
  • Roads were very shaded so you had to use extra caution as you couldn't see problems in the road. They did their best to mark them but you still had to be alert. Nothing the RD can do, just a minor cause for concern.
  • Neyland Dr has uneven surfaces. Just an annoyance to run on.
  • Several run out and backs. That is a personal annoyance. I know they maximized the course. I just prefer one giant out and back. The course had about 4 different branches off the main route.
  • Need a few more volunteers at bike aid stations. If you missed a bottle at the first exchange there was little time to regroup and grab another one.
  • Post race food. Boxed lunch? Come on. Pizza and beer!!!
  • One BRUTAL uphill before the finish line. Cruelest thing I have every experienced in a race. More on this later.
Overall, I loved this race. I honestly think it may go down as one of my top 3 favorite races of all time. I give it a solid "A" grade for an inaugural race. I have a strong feeling that I will be back in the future.

No comments: