In honor of my furlough day, I decided to take part in the annual Georgia Ride to the Capitol. This is one of my favorite events throughout the year. As in years past, the General Assembly was considering an important bill requiring drivers to yield to at least 3 feet when passing. Naturally, the bill is bogged down in committee and likely won't pass prior to crossover day. Nonetheless, the ride still occurred.
Each time I participate in the event, I start in Roswell. There is just something exciting about riding down Roswell and Piedmont roads where cyclist are lead by a barrage of blue lights clearing all the intersections. The trek is 21 miles one way and is conducted in a parade fashion, at least on the way down.
Tuesday morning was bitterly cold. The ride started in the low 40s which made the downhills that much more unbearable. The sun made an appearance around 10:45 as we made our way through midtown. We ascended up the Capitol around 1130. This years turnout was very impressive...easily over 1000 cyclist. The break was nice as the sun emerged and a few dignitaries took the stage for comments. It was also great to catch up with a number of friends, many who I only see at cycling events.
The ride back is the *cough* real reason you participate. It is a hammer fest. The police try to shut down a few intersections and allow us to speed our way back to Roswell. This year we kept hitting traffic jams that slowed the progress. Trying to do this 48 hours after ING wasn't one of my more intelligent plans. Of course, I told myself that I wouldn't hammer. I would just ride....get this....moderately hard. Sure. I hit every hill hard and finished with the lead pack. It end up being a beautiful day. I just couldn't resist the urge to get out of ride.
Updated: Naturally, HB988 didn't make it out of committee prior to crossover day. So it looks like we are back to the drawing board for next session.
Sunday, March 28, 2010
Georgia Ride to the Capitol
Labels:
event,
georgia ride to capitol
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment