In thinking through my motivation issues this year, I have developed what I would like to call the Ironman Burnout syndrome. Before you stop reading, it isn't quite what you think. There are two ways this can play out. Certainly, one can burn out from training long all the time and focusing only on Ironman. The other way, as I see it, is to complete an Ironman TOO early in your triathlon career.
I did my first Ironman 18 months after I purchased my first bike. I did my second nearly 18 months after the first. The gained me a number of accolades, popularity and notoriety among friends. But what does all that mean now? This is why I STRONGLY encourage beginners and other athletes to take their time to reach the Ironman status. Getting there too early sets you up for a rocky road the rest of the way.
For me, it has helped to create a condescending attitude. I don't look at a half-iron race with the same fear as I view the 140.6 miles. I don't have the same excitement. It is just half of what I have completed twice. I mean, I have done an Ironman...what is half of one to me. That attitude is evident.
The thing about rushing the Ironman process is that your return down the ladder isn't near as rewarding. When you are climbing the ladder you fear each new distance. You tackle training with a different mindset as the prospect of a new goal or challenge awaits you. The payoff of crossing the finish line provides a whole new physical and emotional reward system. I remember this feeling. I remember bonking in Chattanooga during my first olympic. I remember struggling at SC Half on my quest to cover 70.3 miles. I recall the euphoria the accomplishments brought me.
But once you achieve success at the top of the ladder, what do you have to look forward to? How pumped up do you get about doing a sprint? How do you carry the motivation and intensity forward when you don't fear the distance? I said the other day that I should just sign up for another Ironman. That way I would be more motivated to train. (must....not....sign...up)
It stands to reason that one should perfect their racing at a particular distance before progressing to the next. I give this advice all the time. Want to do a full-iron? How is your half? Do you race that well or do you break down? Do you think doubling the distance will yield different results? Unfortunately, no one listens. I didn't so I can't blame them. So now I am stuck going back to perfect the shorter distances. That isn't exactly glorifying.
All this boils down to changing my mindset. I am shifting from racing to complete to racing to compete. The things that motivated me in the past no longer work. I need to search within and around me to find motivating stimuli. I need to change the way I train on a weekly basis to stress both my body and mind. I need to remain focused on the bigger picture of what I am trying to accomplish instead of shirking the responsibility.
All of this because I did an Ironman too early in my triathlon career. I reached the pinnacle of the sport and found success. The achievement makes success at the lower levels even more difficult to see. It requires a change in mindset. It forces me to alter my philosophy and way I approach the sport. Once I alter that mindset, hopefully, I can re-enter the path of progression in the sport.
Wednesday, May 20, 2009
Ironman Burnout
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
MUST NOT SIGN UP
MUST NOT SIGN UP
MUST NOT SIGN UP
MUST NOT SIGN UP
MUST NOT SIGN UP
MUST NOT SIGN UP
this was an interesting take. not that it will change anything for me, but insightful. good job dollar.
I couldn't agree with you more. I waited 5 years from my first tri to my IM and I look back now and still think it was too soon. On the plus side though IM training taught me a ton about myself, how I train, what I'm capable of and now it's just a shift to refocus on what's possible at the shorter distances. Good for you for figuring this out :)
You hit the nail on the head. Once you cross the finish line at an IM event there really is no where to go but down for most athletes. I can't tell you how many athletes I see that have the same attitude of "I have done (insert IM here) I can do a Half rolling out of bed" that or they leave the sport all together because nothing NOTHING will be as rewarding as the first time you go 140.6 miles. Good post!
Post a Comment