Monday, April 6, 2009

You Finish What You Start

On my ride home, I was listening to a podcast with a pro triathlete. I swear it was perfect timing. The interviewer was asking about how one pushes through the tough times and when it is ok to take the easy way out by quitting. The athlete admitted to pulling out of races before. She understands why people do it. But she adheres to a simple philosophy--you finish what you start.

I have used that motto hundreds of times in my life. On Sunday that motto was nowhere to be found. I spent most of today in a daze about the race. I really thought it was a strange dream. Surely, I didn't actually quit a race. I can't recall the last time I ever quit something. In fact, one of my problems in my personal life is that I often can't walk away from situations because it feels like quitting.

In talking with friends today, everyone is shocked. They all agree that I am the LAST person in the world to quit a race. I am the type to walk the 13 miles rather than turn in my chip. I am still dumbfounded with how I came to that decision. I understand the why...but I am still in disbelief that I made the decision and stuck with it.

I could sit around and make excuses for the race. Bad nutrition, poor sleep, stress, not being prepared, race conditions, etc. But it doesn't matter. I quit. I was a big pussy. Things weren't going my way so I took my ball and went home. It is as simple that.

You finish what you start.

No comments: