Friday, December 19, 2008

Getting Back in the Saddle

Yep. It is that time again. Time to move from recovery to base phase. Sometimes in the winter the South is really blessed with unseasonable weather. This past week was in the 60s. It was wet but for the most part I couldn't complain.

So I skirted out of work early and headed to the Silver Comet Trail for a slow long ride. This was my 3rd ride since IMFL. I wanted to take some serious time off from the bike and allow my body to reset.

The end result was a two hour, 35 mile ride that provided a few challenges along the way. I realized that I hadn't been on the bike in quite some time. While you never forget HOW to ride a bike, how to cycle takes some time to remember. Aero position wasn't as comfortable as the 112 mile ride I recall. I had no mental stamina out there. My ride went from 40 miles to 35 - 30 -25 -20 -30 -35. It wasn't as much fun as I remembered.

But most importantly, my bike and I need to have a real heart to heart. I just don't like my position. It was very noticeable yesterday. And I think it is a contributing factor to my ITBS problem. So at the beginning of the new year, I am going to seek a new position and hope this is the answer. Otherwise, more drastic measures might be taken...which saddens me.

No comments: