I like to give myself some time after a race to think through the entire process a bit more. As I mentioned before, there is always a few pivotal moments in the race that make or break your day. I wanted to blog with some additional thoughts about did or did not go well that day. Some of it was in my control, some wasn't.
What worked:
1. The weather. A bit chilly in the morning, a bit hot in the afternoon but otherwise perfect for racing. The water was calm and the wind was subtle.
2. Nutrition--bike nutrition was dead on. I love Infinit. It is complicated to take a number of bottles on the bike but if consistency is the key, then Infinit is gold. I trained with Infinit and nothing else for the last month. Love it...just don't want to taste it again for a few months.
3. Race Strategy--I stuck to the plan (for the most part).
4. Being severely under trained. The motto is true that it is better to be 10% under trained than 1% over trained. There were a lot of over trained athletes out there.
5. Training. Particularly the Jacksonville-Valdosta ride. That was crucial not only for my ego but in an effort to learn how to ride on the flats.
6. My mental strength. I don't know where it came from. I don't know if I could do it again. It was there on 11/1 and that is all that matters
What didn't go well:
1. Starting way in the front on the swim. I didn't get out quick enough. I am looking for some good video footage from a particular POV. I think I have a different strategy for the next one.
2. Run training. I know I shouldn't bitch about it but it was a hindrance. I pulled off a great run on little volume. I am really concerned about the short-term damage.
3. Run nutrition. I kinda forgot about it. I needed more calories.
4. Not pushing the bike. This is probably where I am most upset with myself. There is such a thin line between pushing the pace and pushing it too hard. I was too scared to push it. I am willing to bet that I could have easily pulled a 5:15.
5. Losing a contact. Enough said.
What to change for the future:
1. More intensity training on the bike. I need to learn where that line is.
2. Racing a few more Half's as preparation (nothing I could do about it this year)
3. Making the full switch to power next year, hopefully ending the dependence on HR zones on the bike.
Monday, November 10, 2008
What worked..what didn't
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
It's always good to learn from "the pros". Could you either blog a bit more about Infinit? How did you choose where you wanted to be on protein, carbs, etc. How many recipes did it take until you were happy? You could also just send me an e-mail if you want
Post a Comment