Monday, August 25, 2008

Next Steps

The end of the year is in site. And I couldn't be happier. My body is recovering from Belgium. It is still a slow process but once I get back in town I can resume my weekly doctor visits. I think I need to be aligned, in a bad way.

Ironman is just over three months away. From some perspectives that scares me. From others I know that I will be just fine. At this point, it is just too hard to figure out what my body will allow me to do. I have resumed working out. I rode 67 miles on Saturday on a hilly terrain. I was tired but I felt pretty good. I am looking forward to building my endurance more on the bike. I am looking forward to the five hour rides and the 120 miles on the weekend. I am looking forward to seeing what my legs will really do.

The big question still surrounds my knee. My running is still a mystery. I ran twice in the past week. One hurt and one didn't. I was able to run an hour at a VERY slow pace without agitating the knee. I made it through 90 minutes in Belgium so that provides a slight glimmer of hope. But I did that prior to cycling. The issue still remains that if cycling irritates the knee at all, then I find myself incapable of running off the bike.

So I don't know what to think about Ironman Florida at this point. I really don't want to train if I don't stand a chance of racing anywhere near my ability. I also don't want to race for 6.5 hours only to walk the entire marathon. That doesn't sound fun.

I am going to give the knee two weeks. If I don't feel that I am improving then I think the best thing to do is call off Ironman. It will enable me to shut down the season early, maybe race a few sprints and start the recovery process.

Plus, I am already looking forward to 2009! I am excited about the goals I am setting for myself.

No comments: