Thursday, August 7, 2008

Belgium Race Plan

Being injured really sucks. I can't express how much I am NOT looking forward to this race. As much as 36 hours before I departed, I am sitting in a doctors office (yet again) wondering if I am going to race. I am onto cortisone shot number two. This time he is pinpointing the IT band. This needle reminds me of the Empire State Building. Is he really going to penetrate my knee with that thing?

He tells me this is going to hurt more than last time. His plan of attach is to lift the tissue off the femur to get the cortisone underneath. Thanks. I can literally feel him lift the tissue...wow...this is like surgery sans anesthesia. I can't recall a pinpointed pain like that.

So there we go. At this juncture I don't even know if I will be able to race. My race goals have been minimized from lofty times to simple terms.

1. Make it to the bike (finish run 1)
2. Have fun on the bike and catch up
3. Finish the race

Never have I been faced with taking a DNF in a race. Will I make it one lap on the run? Will I make it to the bike? Will I be able to run afterwards? Who knows. Too many variables right now. My leg feel completely bruised. I hope to be able to compete. And I hope to not make a complete ass of myself too.

No comments: