This may come as a surprise to many...but I don't like running. Really. I do NOT like running. I don't like all the aches and pains. I don't like that when I walk down the hall, my legs feel like they could buckle and I would just fall over. I don't like the feeling of knowing that I have to run 13.1 miles on Sunday. Alas, it goes on.
I have always been a runner. I have that long lean build. For as long as I can remember, running just came naturally. I was that hyper active kid that asked to run laps during soccer and baseball practice. Track and cross country were social outlets for me to demonstrate the ability. However, while gifted with the ability to run and run well, I wouldn't call it an innate skill. I have to work and work hard at it. A lot of it is mental but I don't have that natural speed.
I have been ready for the ING half marathon to come and go. I am tired of focusing on running. But I set this as an "A" race so my prep needs to be dead-on. Since Mercedes, I have focused exclusively on speed. I cut back on my long weekend runs. When the tornado hit downtown, it hit all along the course. My plan was to go run the route a time or two. Oh well. I know most of the course from previous races. I guess I am ready as I will ever be. I just need to believe in the concept of base building!!!
The course is relatively flat...or so it appears. People think these races are the easiest. I beg to differ. It is never really flat. Granted I don't have to climb up Greensprings in this race but there are a number of false flats and general inclines....including the final 2 miles of the race going up. I recall running this section 6 weeks ago. It sucked. Big time.
So my primary goal is to run sub 1:50
My "A" race prediction would have me run 1:44:49.
Most likely I will be in the 1:45-1:50 time period.
I am flirting with the idea of developing a race strategy. Most times, I start out conservative and attempt to build over the course of the race. Most inexperienced people do the opposite. They go out too hard and are gassed by the end. The trick in this race will be the final three miles. I think people will be dropping like flies. I am tempted to stick with my general race philosophy. The downside to that approach is that I often feel like I left a lot out on the course. I don't give the race 100%. I hold back too much. But if I am still fresh at mile 11 then I will make my move toward the end when others are struggling. But is it too late.
To execute that plan requires a moderate approach to the middle of the race. My analysis of the course demonstrates that miles 5-6, 8-10 are the easiest. Those are truly flat or downhill. I am tempted to pick up the pace at those points and push it a little harder, attempting slight recovery on the mile in between. Of course this puts me at risk of dying at the end of the race. It is a calculated risk...but one I am really evaluating.
As I said, it is all mental. But the physical execution of a plan teeters on detriment. There is a thin line between racing at 100% and blowing up. And I can't say that I can distinguish between the two until it is over. I know I can run sub 1:45. If I execute the above mentioned plan, I will likely finish at 1:43. I know this is possible...just need to execute properly.
Here are my *very* optimistic thoughts and hope for the race.
| A | B |
| 0:08:20 | 0:08:30 |
| 0:08:10 | 0:08:15 |
| 0:08:10 | 0:08:15 |
| 0:08:10 | 0:08:15 |
| 0:07:45 | 0:08:00 |
| 0:07:30 | 0:08:00 |
| 0:08:00 | 0:08:00 |
| 0:07:45 | 0:07:50 |
| 0:07:30 | 0:07:50 |
| 0:07:30 | 0:07:45 |
| 0:07:45 | 0:07:45 |
| 0:07:55 | 0:07:55 |
| 0:07:55 | 0:07:45 |
| 0:01:00 | 0:01:00 |
| 1:43:25 | 1:45:05 |
No comments:
Post a Comment